Noise during Stay

Leo2768
Level 2
Nuremberg, Germany

Noise during Stay

I had rented an AirBnb for one whole week. 
We arrived on Monday and saw that there was construction work in front of our house. Then there was also renovation done inside of the house… Once Workers were standing on our balcony …! As we got new windows …
It was horrible we all woke up at 7am daily due to the noise. 
I contacted Airbnb and the host, nothing happens since 2 Weeks… 

i need urgent help.

12 Replies 12
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Since the stay has already been completed, the only remaining option is to claim financial compensation. Go to the mediation center and file your claim there.

https://www.airbnb.de/help/article/1370/eine-r%C3%BCckerstattung-anfragen

You can base the amount on the Frankfurter Tabelle. 

I already did this but there is nothing happening… 

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

Ah, that's an important information, I didn't find it in your first message.

So the next step (after 72 hours) is described there: https://www.airbnb.de/help/article/767/so-hilft-dir-das-mediationscenter

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Leo2768 As you didn't cancel the stay and move out I think Airbnb will not provide any compensation. Did you leave a review for the host?

Because we were 6 people and this was one of only a few available at this time… 

I didn’t know that you had to move out…

I made records and everything. To validate the noise. 
@Till-and-Jutta0  yes the 72 Hours are also over… 

yes i did a Review. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Leo2768 I see you did leave a review. Your words (translated) were 'Had a nice week. Great location !'. Do you really feel this deserves compensation?????? @Till-and-Jutta0 I suspect Airbnb mediation centre will not help this chancer.

Yes the location was perfect ! And we had a nice week only the Noise in the Morning was Horrible👀… 

I once read in a thread that you shouldn’t leave a bad Review if you want some of your money back… 

This was the text i wrote airbnb and the host :

This is the full text I send :

Hello, we arrived on Monday and everything seemed great at first! Accommodation clean, etc. Then we went to the terrace, which had no windows. Or window was just installed, see photos. Sometimes the construction workers stood on our terrace. Renovation work was carried out in the house, which is nice and positive for the hosts, they take care of it accordingly. However, it would be good if it said somewhere that you live on a construction site. So now to point two: I was woken up every morning at about 6 o'clock by insane construction site noise. I have recorded this on video and will be happy to submit it later. There was a construction site not only in the house but also in front of the door the subway was being rebuilt. So you were woken up every morning by the noise in the house and in front of the door. That simply does not work ! If it had been online somewhere or if you had been warned, it would be acceptable but no ... Sincerely, Leonard Peter

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

@Leo2768 I'm not sure: what kind of urgent help do you need now?

What is your intention?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Leo2768 Put yourself in Airbnb's position. They have to determine which story is correct and your review will no doubt convince them that no money is due to you.

Also you have let down your fellow guests by not leaving an honest review - Ah well, lets hope the places you stay in in the future have been honestly reviewed.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Leo2768  If you have an issue which you find unacceptable, Airbnb protocol (and which is written in their Help articles) is to immediately contact the host. If the host is unable or unwilling to correct the issue, it is then up to the guest to either cancel and leave, or make the best of the situation.

If you continue to stay, the assumption is that you decided to accept things as they are. That it would be difficult or inconvenient for you to move is irrelevant to this policy. And if you don't notify a host of an issue when it arises, giving them an opportunity to correct it if possible (in this case, some hosts may have said "Oh, I'm so sorry- I had no idea they were starting construction. I can offer you a bit of a discount for disturbance."), then you ceratainly can't expect to be refunded.

What isn't acceptable is to  complete a stay, and then complain after the fact and expect to be refunded. Would you go to a restaurant, eat your entire meal, then complain that you didn't enjoy it and expect not to be charged for the meal?

Of course the host was remiss for not warning you about the construction, or perhaps they live far away and weren't even aware of it, but if you chose to stay in spite of it, then the construction noise, and the fact that you weren't advised of it beforehand should be mentioned in the review. What you say in the review has no bearing on getting refunded, if you are indeed eligible for a refund, which in this case you are not.

And just because you mention a negative about your experience doesn't mean it's a "bad" review. Reviews are meant to be honest, not good or bad. You can speak to what was good about a place and also mention what was not so great. "Location was great, accommodation was clean and as advertised, and our group had an excellent time overall. Unfortunately the experience was marred by constant construction, both in front of the building and in it, which began early every morning, of which we were not warned."

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Leo2768 

I would have hoped that the host would have closed the rental during construction or at least notified the guests and asked if they were willing to tolerate the noise.

At this point it appears that you were willing to tolerate it and did so.

You really have no legitimate reason to demand a refund.  If, as you say, there was nothing else available to you, you received the best that was available, at the price dictated by economics, noise and all.