Not allowing pets at my listing due to having my own... anyone else?

Luke582
Level 1
Highworth, United Kingdom

Not allowing pets at my listing due to having my own... anyone else?

Hello AirBnb community 

As many people on this forum im a Super host striving to get the most out of my property at the same time providing the best posable experience for my guests .

A big part of a successful listing is being able to communicate to your potential guests ,which is why Airbnb categorised certain amenity's to quickly show to people who are looking for a place to stay these being -

Popular amenities ,Flexible stays ,Family travel ,Remote work spaces, Longer stays ,Advance bookings

The problem is there is a cross over between  "Popular amenities" and "Family travel" and this is the "allow pets at your place" criteria.

I have 2 large dogs and a cat , never been any problem and guests love them around , they are also there as security in the night , I don't allow other pets on my property because I don't want any pet on pet confrontation , its also very rare that people holiday with pets in my part of the world (East Africa) , yet because of this im unable to obtain "Popular amenities" and "Family travel" accreditation because both of them require you to allow pets, even though I have met all other criteria in both category's.

Does any one else thing this is a little unfair ? 

Look forward to any feed back surrounding this issue.

5 Replies 5
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Luke582 

Thanks for posting!

I've clarified your post title and moved it over to the relevant board, just to see if we can get you some insights from our lovely members.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Jenny  While it is helpful to have action on the part of the Community Manager, I would have advised this host to provide feedback directly to AirBnB questioning why allowing animals is a REQUIREMENT of being included in the family travel accreditation. 

A family is a group of one or more parents and their children living together as a unit.  If pets were a requirement for being called a family, my lineage would never be considered a family as we have never had pets.

@Luke582   I sympathize with you and hope that AirBnB changes their requirement.  Unfortunately, programmers and the marketing team (IMO) seem totally unaware of the reality of hosting, so don't hold your breath.  

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Lorna170 

Thanks so much for your post.  As you know, here on the CC the OCM team collect and pass along feedback wherever possible, so I'll be more than happy to do that on behalf of @Luke582.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Why is there no way for hosts to have direct interaction with these elusive teams? 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Luke582 

Yes, I think it's unfair. Besides the fact that a lot of families do not have pets, a lot of families that do have pets do not travel with them. 

I don't actually accept pets (I have three cats already so it's not an option), but that hasn't stopped families trying to book with me and my listings state no children!