OMG! Hosts are now responsible for lightning strikes!

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

OMG! Hosts are now responsible for lightning strikes!

Had to share this. Was checking out the competition, as I frequently do. Plenty of business to go around, but I like to see what's going on with local AirBnBs. 

Review from Sherry- member since 2017, no reviews. Yikes! 

"The home was nice but pray you don’t have any issues. We had lightning strike and hit a tree which then fell on top of our car and took out all of the power. We had no power or running water and we were trapped there with live electrical wires blocking the drive way. We were afraid to leave and get electrocuted. The owner told us to get our own means of light until I told him it was his responsibility. Then he basically told us to poop by the tree and there was a shovel by the fire pit. It was a COMPLETE DISASTER. There is over $5000 in damage to my nephews Camaro and he is denying responsibility. I am fighting with him for a refund which is ridiculous. What kind of person holds you and your money hostage? Oh and we ran out of propane and the chair dry rotted and my cousin fell to the ground and hurt her back. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS MAN!"

Refund? Yeah, maybe- or at least a partial. Paying for the nephew's Camaro? No way, lol!!!

9 Replies 9
Dennise-Ann0
Level 4
Twain Harte, CA

Didn't you know you get super powers once you become a super host?  I guess these guests have never heard the phrase "acts of God".  Nice little cabin by the way.

@Dennise-Ann0 I know, right? We all wish we had the super power of knowing which guests are going to be disasters, and declining their bookings. 

Thanks for the compliment on the cabin 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

"What kind of person holds you and your money hostage? "

Uh, what kind of person holds someone accountable for acts of nature? Maybe someone confused Superhost with Supervillain, lol. If only we had supervillain abilities to unleash on certain guests!

@Colleen253 

It is human nature to thrash around when feeling totally powerless and damaged by stuff beyond our control. I'll bet that once this guest is able to settle down and ask professionals in the "fix it and take care of it" business, it will sort itself out. You and I know this is totally not about you, it is about total frustration at the situation. Such an adventure. Hang in there. 

@Kitty-and-Creek0  Thanks for your caring comment, but this wasn’t a review of mine. It belongs to the  host Kia mentioned in her OP.

If it had been my review, I would have made very good use of my response option, lol (rubbing hands together gleefully…..)

@Colleen253 

Dear Guest, we hope you enjoyed your AirBnB Experience, "Pooping By A Tree." We always feel closer to nature when we relieve ourselves outside. Don't you? 

Because you paid for a stay and an experience, we gave you the bonus experience, "Lightning Strike" at no charge. 

Because you signed a waiver, we'll be airing your entire stay on a special edition of AirBnB TV,

Episode 1- Lightning Strike: Held Captive By Live Electrical Wires And An Evil Host

Best, Your Host

@Kia272 🤣🤣🤣🤣 That’s way better than anything I could have done. 

@Colleen253 

I had fun writing it.....can't wait for the sequel! 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

The host deliberately caused the lightning strike just to spite the guest.

...and thought they'd get away with it...

Apparently