Open homes to get an abortion

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Open homes to get an abortion

This is NOT a political post and I respect everyone's views on Roe vs Wade as I do on all matters. Airbnb however has been very political (and not in a good way). This cause should align with their values and here is a real chance to do good. I hope they will include getting an abortion in another state as a qualifier for Open homes. Some people will now have to travel very far to get one and might not have the means to rent a place to stay.

70 Replies 70

@Chrissy107 I am not sure I am following your comment. What are you trying to say?

Well, businesses have been making political statements for centuries. Let's not forget that Citizens United gave them the same First Amendment speech rights as people. And just how much money are your local politicians taking from corporations? They make political statements and decisions EVERY DAY.

Yes, maybe 20-25% of AirBnB hosts probably agree with the decision, but that is not going to hamper the other 75-80% of hosts to open their properties to women that are being forced to basically be refugees to leave states to find medical/abortion care. Don't join the group. Do your own thing. Being part of AirBnB is a choice. There are other services you can use to rent your space if you don't like it.

And those guests... if the polls are correct, more are in favor of keeping Roe intact than not. Most say 3 in 4 would have left it in place. It's my property and if I decide to make a political statement with it, I will. And if someone doesn't want to stay in my property because I'm gay, liberal, and not in favor of forcing 13 year old rape victims to carry a pregnancy to term, I do not care. I don't want their money.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's not a political issue. It's a human rights issue . 

@Chrissy107 its pretty simple to me. No one is forcing a host to join this program (if it gets off the ground). Just as no one is forcing a host to host a refugee from Ukraine or a first responder. If it does not align with your personal beliefs, don't participate. End of story. Let ABB worry about whether it drives away hosts who feel its overstepping. 

Personally I am a lot more worried about ABB keeping any property of mine free of parties than the individual political stances of the C suite. But that is me. 

Businesses lobby for political purposes all the time. It’s nothing new for a business to align themselves with a cause.  If you are not aligned with Airbnb,  you don’t have to participate. Some sacrifices must be made to promote the greater good, health and equality of girls and women. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When I was at university in England  many eon's ago - we worked with students in Ireland and Northern Ireland to provide accommodation and support for women forced to travel to  the  UK for an abortion as it was completely illegal  in Ireland and Northern Ireland .

such sad times in the US. 

Martha910
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

YES. Airbnb needs to immediately create a special tag or search criteria for hosts to display on our listings that we are abortion friendly. Perhaps a unique Experience should be created to this end. Guests who would like assistance with travel to clinics, etc, should be able to search for that and do the follow up review of the host. How do we get this done?? 

Hi, all, I'm a little late to this thread, but my name is Lizzie Kane, and I am a reporter with Bloomberg. I am looking to speak with Airbnb hosts who are using or want to use their listings to help people seeking abortions.  You can look me up online and should hopefully be able to find contact information for me. I'm on Twitter and have posted my email on there, and you can also DM me. @alicia300 @catherine2886 @kerry230 @tommy150 @donna1268

@valerie375 @Inna22 @Anna539 

Not sure what info I can provide, but you can email me **

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Hello Ms. Kane, 

I am a writer and student at Oberlin College. 

I am currently researching a story about the changing meanings of Southern hospitality in a region increasingly impacted by natural disasters and environmental displacement, and I am hoping to connect with individuals and families who have experienced this as both Open Homes hosts and guests. 
Were you able to connect with any hosts through your own inquiry? Or is there any other guidance you might be willing to share about conducting this kind of research?

I truly appreciate your insights. 

Thank you,
Grace Jackson
Jennifer942
Level 2
Portland, OR

The day that Roe vs. Wade was overturned. I put a call into Airbnb and begged them to set up a program like this. I live in Oregon, and would be happy to offer up my Airbnb as a place for a woman to get an abortion out of state, if she needed a place to stay.   Jen P.