Others entering an using the apartment without guests knowledge or consent.

Others entering an using the apartment without guests knowledge or consent.

Hello all, I am a guest, but really would like to get other hosts opinions about my recent experience in Paris. 

I booked a stay for 35 nights starting Oct 14th. On my day of departure I realized the host sent me incorrect check in information including the key box code to obtain the key to enter the apartment. I reached out to the host and it took the 7 hours to get back to me. During this time I had to change my flight because I did not feel good about going without knowing I could get in. The host sent me completely different check in information then what was on the listing a few days later.

Due to recent events in the world I delayed my arrival by another week to watch and see if things got worse or mellowed especially with the bomb threats and evacuations in Paris. The host knew this and my reservation stayed active and was never cancelled or adjusted. 

On Oct 29th I arrived at my apartment 2 weeks after my check in to find no key in the keybox to get in. I.messaged the host wbo said it was with the neighbor because they are forbidden to have it in their possession. The neighbor came out and told me he needed to grab his laundry from the apartment because he had been using it for the last week and that he had been showering there as well over the last week. As well as need to come and use it every day during my stay until his hot water is fixed. We went to the apartment where he grabbed 2 basket of clothes, apologized, handed me the key and told me he would let me know when he needs my shower. 

In complete shock to find another person not only entered the apartment I was paying for and reserved, but also used things in my apartment while my travel to Paris was delayed. I let the host know. She said she would come down. I waited 2 and half hours for her to show. She never did. The apartment was filthy so I grabbed my things and went yo a hotel. I stayed 3 hours in an apartment I booked for 35 days. The host if refusing to refund me. I explained the violated airbnbs privacy and safety policy and that I am no longer comfortable staying. 

As a host, what are your thoughts? Do I have grounds for a full refund? Was the host in the wrong for allowing the neighbor access to my apartment why I was delayed in my travels? I think yes, but I would love your opinion and any suggestions on what to do next. Thank you kindly. 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Chrystyina0 Interesting one this. I guess by not turning up for 2 weeks you may have given up the right to the apartment - You certainly didn't check in when you were supposed to. However the host was stupid to let someone else use the apartment which I assume was an 'entire place' listing?

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Chrystyina0 Did the host know that the neighbor was utilizing the property during your absence, or were they just supposed to be holding the key until your arrival?

Given that you paid for the whole apartment and let the host know of your delays, she shouldn't have allowed anyone else to utilize it. At the very least she should have asked you and had the neighbor cease usage and clean the space completely for your newly dated arrival. The neighbor stating that they still needed to access the apartment DURING your stay is completely unacceptable. Renting an entire space means that it is solely yours for the duration of time in which you paid for it and reserved it. 

Here is where the tricky part comes in. Despite the neighbor utilizing the space during your absence (unbeknownst to you), you did keep the host's calendar booked rendering her unable to accept other reservations. Airbnb might side with her in allowing her to keep those two weeks' worth of pay. However, I do think you are intitled to a refund for the remainder of the booking. 

Your best bet is to call Airbnb support and report the issue. Allow them to open a case and handle the situation moving forward. Hopefully communication was done on the platform, however if it wasnt screen shot your conversations and provide them to Airbnb to support your case. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You give two reasons for not showing up, the code business and bomb threats. Regardless, someone using your rented place for their laundry is a slopfest. 🤔