Parking in Oslo, Norway

Answered!
Ben5313
Level 1
Darwen, United Kingdom

Parking in Oslo, Norway

Hi all, 
We are looking to park our car in Oslo for a few nights, but we're having a nightmare booking anywhere in advance. One thing that I had considered was to approach an AirBNB host to establish whether they would allow us to use their garage, obviously paying a fee.

Would this be frowned upon?

Ben

1 Best Answer
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Ben5313 🌿

Unless you choose to book in the suburbs then no one really got a garage. Like in Copenhagen most people who life in the city - live in apartments with no garage. Public transport is efficient or you can bike around the city - so you can easily get around if you book in the suburbs. In the suburbs parking is in most cases free of charge and it is perfectly safe to leave your car parked on the streets. 
Best, Sandra

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Ben5313 🌿

Unless you choose to book in the suburbs then no one really got a garage. Like in Copenhagen most people who life in the city - live in apartments with no garage. Public transport is efficient or you can bike around the city - so you can easily get around if you book in the suburbs. In the suburbs parking is in most cases free of charge and it is perfectly safe to leave your car parked on the streets. 
Best, Sandra

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Just for kicks and to prove to myself I am hip enough to know how to use the Internet (90's guy here), I Googled the question of cars in Oslo and found this:

"OSLO is the cultural, scientific, economic and governmental center of Norway. The city center is also mostly a car-free zone. Driving in the city center is complicated and on-street parking almost impossible. We advise you to use the car parks in the city center."

@Fred13 😅. If you are a resident you can pay an annual fee and park your car in the area where you live. It can easily take 45-60 minutes to find a spot coming back from work. Same in Copenhagen. The old cities weren’t build to have parking for lots of cars and people also don’t want the pollution that comes with it. If it were me I would either find a suburban area (Oslo/Norway is super safe) or pay the fee and park in a secured parking lot. 

@Sandra856What's funny is that here in small villages in Central America that now are tourist meccas the gulf car is the transportation of choice. These are ours.Privasea.jpg

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Fred13 I love that!! I'd come visit just for the golf carts, also of course because you have one of the most beautiful listings but these golf carts are everything! 😍

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen