Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Partial payment no refund?

Answered!
Rebecca1901
Level 1
Boerne, TX

Partial payment no refund?

My 18 yr old son booked a condo for 3 months from now. Paid what we now know was a partial payment of $1300. He thought it was a deposit. He sent a message to the host within 48 hours of booking to cancel when he realized he needed someone 25 yrs old to check in and did not have someone to do that. He thought the message was enough, remember this is a 18 yr old who never used airbnb before. Another 48 hrs later I canceled it on the app when i noticed it was not canceled. He was not aware of the option. After multiple messages the host refused to return the payment. He then got a message saying his refund was $1130. Which we were not able to access after clicking through the options. It told us to try back later. After calling airbnb multiple times and getting different answers, one saying he was getting a refund, we were told he gets no refund because he partially paid and to disregard the message for the $1130 refund because it was automated and incorrect. No where on the hosts posting did it say anything about no refund with partial payment. This is insane. If the host was a decent human she would refund the money. What do we do? 

Top Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Rebecca1901 I believe that your son should have recieved emails detailng costs and when they become non refundable. I do not think if the host has a part payment option that it could become non refundable in that amount of time. Get in touch with Airbnb proper, also the booking probably should not have been accepted from an 18 year old. check the reservation number and pass it to the AIRBNB Customer service person and check all of your sons messaging. Do not deal with the host if they are not following the rules that you signed up for as three months out probably changes some of those rules and policies... H

View Top Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Rebecca1901 I believe that your son should have recieved emails detailng costs and when they become non refundable. I do not think if the host has a part payment option that it could become non refundable in that amount of time. Get in touch with Airbnb proper, also the booking probably should not have been accepted from an 18 year old. check the reservation number and pass it to the AIRBNB Customer service person and check all of your sons messaging. Do not deal with the host if they are not following the rules that you signed up for as three months out probably changes some of those rules and policies... H

Casey363
Level 1
Berwick, LA

Did this ever get resolved. The same thing happened to me. The policy is not clear and to me this is just to right.