Passport Request

Passport Request

Hi! I am new to using the Airbnb service. I am traveling abroad and decided to give it a shot. I am going to Mexico City for the first time.

I just booked a stay and got an message on the app asking for a picture of my passport for "Internal regulation of the building".

The host is a "new host" but has reviews from across the country and I checked the maps and the building looks to be the same as the listed address. 

The listing says that the Mexican government has a "Mexico City Tourist Law" that requires it but I am not finding anything on google. 

This looks like a scam and immediately made me worries.  Has anyone had a similar experience? 

3 Replies 3
Till-and-Jutta0
Top Contributor
Stuttgart, Germany

I don't know about Mexican laws. But it's an obligation in most of the European countries to present your ID.

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Jackson186 , I know that the times we have traveled/stayed to/in Mexico, copies of our passports have always been requested (at time of check in-typically hotels/resorts).

Granted, we haven’t stayed in an Airbnb property in Mexico as of yet but we have an upcoming trip next month, and will be staying at an Airbnb in Mexico City. Host(s) have not, as of yet, requested copies of our passport's. But I do understand that there were changes to Mexico City Tourism Law in April of this year. Not sure if that change required all host(s), both private and hotels, to require copies of passport's.

Best—

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Jackson186 , You've received some supporting comments from Hosts Ann and Till. Did you also reach out to the Airbnb Customer Support regarding this one? Have you gone ahead with the booking and obliged with the request? 

I wanted to share this Airbnb article , that can be referred to just in case you're still looking for help : 👉What a Host may ask for 👈. However, it would be a good idea to reach out to the Support teams as well in case of doubts.

Do keep us posted how you're thinking to go with this booking!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines