Penalty for cancelling a guest

Pam206
Level 3
California, United States

Penalty for cancelling a guest

I just had an instant book reservation from someone under the age of 25, which is my minimum age required in order to rent.  I had a sense she was not 25, so I asked straight up and she said that while she was not, one of her parents would be coming with her.  My rental agreement, which is included in the rules section, states at least twice that the primary renter must be 25 years or older and must stay the entire time of the booking.  I let her know I'd be unable to accept her reservation because of that rule but if a parent wanted to make the reservation, and therefore be the primary renter and sign the rental agreement, that's an option.  When I went to cancel, there is no option to cancel a guest because of them breaking a house rule.  That seems odd.  I would be penalized $104.20 and also have the dates blocked on my calendar should I cancel her.  How is it possible to be penalized as a host for not allowing a reservation that goes against your rules?? It's insane.  First thing I'm doing is turning off instant book.  But seriously, Airbnb should be do better.  I'm a Super Host and the support person I spoke with said "but she said she'd bring a parent".  Grrrr.

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just call back CS and explain that the guest has confirmed they're under 25 and therefore don't meet your house rules @Pam206 

You should familiarize yourself with Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy and review the Community Commitment, where you agree to treat everyone in the Airbnb community--regardless of their race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age--with respect, and without judgment or bias.

The Unruh Civil Rights Act (California Civil Code Section 51) provides protection from discrimination by all business establishments in California, including housing and public accommodations, because of age, ancestry, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex and sexual orientation.

The host is in California so your advice is truly bad. It's a $4000 fine plus upto 3 times in damages to not allow a guests to stay based on age. 

Shirley26
Level 10
Madison, WI

I hope the "parent" is a paying guest as well.

Nicholas828
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU SET THE 25 YEAR OLD AGE LIMIT? You should familiarize yourself with Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy and review the Community Commitment, where you agree to treat everyone in the Airbnb community--regardless of their race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age--with respect, and without judgment or bias. 

Nicholas828
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

Airbnb Support should have said "The Unruh Civil Rights Act (California Civil Code Section 51) provides protection from discrimination by all business establishments in California, including housing and public accommodations, because of age, ancestry, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex and sexual orientation."

You can't set an age it's 18 by default in California. 

So you mean 18 year olds can rent cars?!?!?

This is the community center for Airbnb. Please post in the correct forum.