Personal Info at check in

Answered!
Haulie0
Level 2
Galway, Ireland

Personal Info at check in

I've booked an Airbnb in Spain and sked to provide significant personal information using an App called 'guestapp.chekin.com/form' I am unable to verify if it is legit. Has anyone used it

1 Best Answer

Hi Jenny,

I got this reply 

'Sometimes in some countries the hosts need some personal information like some data of the passport. I don't know that website. Check if the host have good feedback. Try to say that you are not confortable to give the data by that link and can give the data when you make the check-in. Any question feel free to ask,

I've since got a reply from the host that has reassured me and am aware that I have previously given similar information to other accommodation services - just that I trused them more! I've gone ahead with the booking and check in. If it goes bad I'll let the community know

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Haulie0 Not sure but Airbnb functions in Spain and should take care of the other aps not you as far as I know. I smell a scam, ring them and ask if they are Airbnb if not run away... Maybe some of the Spanish people on here could tell you... H

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Haulie0 

Have you been able to find out anything else about this since you posted here on Saturday?

Did you try contacting Airbnb Support to see if they could help?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Jenny,

I got this reply 

'Sometimes in some countries the hosts need some personal information like some data of the passport. I don't know that website. Check if the host have good feedback. Try to say that you are not confortable to give the data by that link and can give the data when you make the check-in. Any question feel free to ask,

I've since got a reply from the host that has reassured me and am aware that I have previously given similar information to other accommodation services - just that I trused them more! I've gone ahead with the booking and check in. If it goes bad I'll let the community know

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Haulie0 I heard from another spain host a few days earlier that her listing by law requires a lot of ID information. It’s probably true that it’s a city regulation. 

And, don’t get afraid. Using passport in your travel and limit your information to the information on your passport is fine. it’s probably harder for any one to hack FBI database than anything else. 

Kate2481
Level 1
Lakewood, OH

@Haulie0 Any updates? I got a “guestapp.chekin.com” link from my Spain AirBnb host to fill it just now too, and I’d love to know if you now think it’s a safe site to use or not. 

No issues so far @Kate2481 . As I said earlier I realised that every accommodation required the same info. 

Anthony2309
Level 1
Nerja, Spain

In Spain all hotels, apartments and holiday rentals are required by law to collect passport or identity card information from their guests and upload that information to the police website.  If hosts don't do this they are breaking the law and can be fined.  Chekin is a legitimate website that makes this process much easier for hosts and guests which is why many hosts use it.   

Guests data all ends up in the same place as the host will still use Chekin whether the guest wants to do it themselves or not.  

So in short it's not a scam.