Photos of guest before accepting booking...

Valerija2
Level 2
Riga, Latvia

Photos of guest before accepting booking...

Hi friends. So I wanna discuss and see if we find any solution to problem I’m facing in Airbnb now after the update. 

I rent out a room in my apartment. So it was important to me to see guests photos BEFORE I accept booking. Now this feature is gone. And is like “cat in a bag” kinda thing. And I don’t feel safe. 

What you think about that? I have tried to contact support, but no any valid answer. They say “you can see photos after accepting request”... really? Like I have no rights to see who I am gonna share my own apartment? It’s same as renting Airbnb’s without photos, no? No one would like that. 

Also I could see profiles of people who wrote review, not that is not possible either. I don’t like that. 

12 Replies 12
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Valerija2  Airbnb haven't had profiles of guests for hosts to see for at least two years. This measure was brought in because sadly some hosts were discriminating against guests based on their race/religion.

I'm a home share host and in six years of hosting and hundreds of guests I have never, ever had to cancel a guest booking purely based on their photo.

I would say you don't need to see a guests photo before they book. If once they have booked you are uncomfortable with the guest purely based on their photo, you could contact Airbnb and tell them why to see if they would cancel penalty free. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What sort of face would put you off allowing someone to book, @Valerija2? Do you think you might possess some hidden sense that means you're able to see if they're good or bad based on their expression?

Valerija2
Level 2
Riga, Latvia

Its Not about discrimination or judgment. I am talking about safety. Not seeing person doesn’t make feel safe letting him/her in my living space. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

You do see the persons before they come to your space @Valerija2 if you tick the section on your listing that says you only accept guests with profile photos.

you just don't see them Before they book. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Valerija2  Then I would say that AirBnB isn't for you. 

This reeks of discrimination. You can't determine your safety based on a photograph or a person's appearance. If this is how you feel, then don't use AirBnB. 

Valerija2
Level 2
Riga, Latvia

Fresh example. A guy is sending request for 5 nights. I can’t see photo, and there is not a single review. New profile. 

so if I accept - it’s complete blind spot of who to wait. I don’t feel like letting complete stranger to my home like this. 

if I don’t I might miss earning and potentially good person. 

please don’t mix rasism and basic self safety. Of course in addition I read reviews. But like today, there are none. 

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Valerija2  You can put in your booking requirements that a photo is required, but you cannot see it until the booking has been confirmed.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/airbnb-answers-guest-profile-photos-77

As long as you can see the photograph upon confirmation then I don’t see the problem at all

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I always ask guests vetting questions if they don't provide information with their booking request /are new to Airbnb. 

this helps me understand if they might be a good fit.

do you do know this @Valerija2 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

yes, if a person has no review, no photo and just a name, you really need to chat with them to get an idea of if they will be a good fit, ESPECIALLY if they are staying in your space with you. I understand. 

Thank you Gillinan! That was exaxtly my point.

So far i found a solution in really chatting  with them before And ASK all qurstions. 

What kind of questions do you usually ask guests before accepting their booking ? 

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Valerija2 

I had an  instance with a picture but comments made after acceptance made me nervous so I negotiated cancellation 100% refund.  All done in my mind.  The day of the cancelled check in someone identifying as the guest came to my home demanding to see me.  The profile picture was obviously not what I saw.  I got nervous too the first time I seen trees.  But the board helped calm me down.

Airbnb has no way to confirm I really submitted my picture.  I post in my ad tgo check in the guest must show as legal id that matches guesty name validated by Airbnb.  That has limited my scammers and my guest with trees was very nice.