Please critique my listing

Answered!
Toni4952
Level 2
Columbia, SC

Please critique my listing

I am new to Air BnB and would love some positive criticism on my listing. 

1 Best Answer
Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

Hi Toni,

Your place looks lovely❣️

Two things I’d like to add…

1. Photo’s; I don’t know if you’ve done this, however I like to recommend placing the photo’s in a specific order.
    That is the order that they see everything in as they would walk through the home. So it flows and tells a story - this is what you see as you enter et cetera.
  2. Listing data; You appear to have entered information in incorrect places in your listing. I too did this and it caused me a little bit of mayhem as it confused the guests. If you have a look at the screenshot I’ve taken of your listing, you can see the heading Where you’ll sleep and underneath is a picture of a lounge room. Beneath this you can see a subheading Living Room and underneath that, the words 1 King bed, 1 Double bed. Confusing, no?! 
    This is a simple fix: 
    1. Select your listing.
    2. Rooms and Spaces.

hit Edit beside each of the areas affected. 
You should see a fine line between each of the sections. Make sure that the information you have provided pertains to the area within those sections.

If you have any questions- if I’ve not clarified it sufficiently and just confused you further, feel free to respond and I’ll do what I can. 🤗

6D4FF472-7E41-42C0-B516-C684E9AAFF81.jpeg

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Toni4952 Your pricing may cause you problems. You might be better off having a 1 bed listing and a 2 bed listing  where you link the calendars to prevent double booking and perhaps block the 1 bed in high seasons. The way you have done it with extra guest fees doesn't stop 1 or 2 people renting it and then using both bedrooms. You will also be forever worrying if the guests bring extra people.

I have it set for up to 4 people, only charging extra for over 4. Does that make a difference?

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Toni4952 your place is lovely.  It looks clean, bright, and cozy. 

I would suggest you tinker with the photos - re-take those taken at an angle so they're taken straight, and refrain from repeating photos.  This article has some really sound tips for photographing your place:  https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/take-great-photos-of-your-space-on-your-phone-221

In your description, play with the idea of using bullet points.  Try something along these lines:

Cozy, clean, and bright centrally located home is perfect for couples or small families

* Close to parks, USC Stadium, downtown, Historic Rosewood, and Ft. Jackson

* Comfortable beds, plush linens, and plenty of towels

* Fully equipped kitchen 

* Private parking

* Private backyard

The first line before the bullet points reaches out to your target demographic.  When they read it and think, "that's me!," they're more likely to book.  

Regarding the parks and attractions, are any of them within walking distance?  If within driving distance, how close?  10 minute drive?  20 minute drive?  How close is the grocery store, the wine store, etc.?  Any farmers' markets?

Secret tip:  every time you change the description, the listing shows as "recently updated."  You don't have to re-write it entirely.  But it's a good encouragement to keep improving and refining it.

Thank you so much for your reply! I will definitely take your advice!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Exceptional advice already given thus far. One reminder on photographs is - focus on your first 5 photos foremost, they are your kill shots, especially the first one, in that case perhaps best to start with one that answers - 'Where am I staying?'; i.e. an outdoor picture of your home.

Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

Hi Toni,

Your place looks lovely❣️

Two things I’d like to add…

1. Photo’s; I don’t know if you’ve done this, however I like to recommend placing the photo’s in a specific order.
    That is the order that they see everything in as they would walk through the home. So it flows and tells a story - this is what you see as you enter et cetera.
  2. Listing data; You appear to have entered information in incorrect places in your listing. I too did this and it caused me a little bit of mayhem as it confused the guests. If you have a look at the screenshot I’ve taken of your listing, you can see the heading Where you’ll sleep and underneath is a picture of a lounge room. Beneath this you can see a subheading Living Room and underneath that, the words 1 King bed, 1 Double bed. Confusing, no?! 
    This is a simple fix: 
    1. Select your listing.
    2. Rooms and Spaces.

hit Edit beside each of the areas affected. 
You should see a fine line between each of the sections. Make sure that the information you have provided pertains to the area within those sections.

If you have any questions- if I’ve not clarified it sufficiently and just confused you further, feel free to respond and I’ll do what I can. 🤗

6D4FF472-7E41-42C0-B516-C684E9AAFF81.jpeg

Thank you so much! I don’t know how I kissed this! I’ll fix it right now. 

Just to clarify, the photo below Where you’ll sleep should be a photo of each of the bedrooms - not a photo of the living room.

The information below Living Area should show the living room photos.

I’d also like to recommend, in your bulk photo flow, that you show your lounge area with the feet down (first) then the photo directly after that with the feet up. I’d also recommend taking that second photo from a different angle rather than straight on, so that guests don’t assume it’s just the same shot - missing your point entirely. Try and remember, many guests will either be in a hurry to book, or they may have seen other listings before yours and are just trying to ‘get through’ to see the next one… you don’t want the latter - you want them to hit the BOOK NOW button. 😊

By the way, the towel elephant? Totally cute and very clever. Your guests are going to LOVE your place. I can see a new Superhost in the making here. Well done❣️

That means so much coming from a Super Host! I’m trying to find that pic and change it but I’m having some difficulty. 

Oh, and I had a towel elephant in my room on my Jamaican cruise. Thought it would be a nice touch! Thanks! 😊