Please share your tips for making your place "feel" clean

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Please share your tips for making your place "feel" clean

Another four stars from a guest today who did not feel my place was clean enough. Not only my housekeeper cleaned from top to bottom, I came in personally to make sure and put some final touches. I did not think the floors were clean enough and paid her overtime to rewash them all including every corner. At this point I think is more of an overall feeling by guests rather than anything specific. Do you have any tips for making a place feel fresh? 

46 Replies 46

@Fred13  A friend of mine who is also a host, (her rental is just a studio she created in a section of the house where she lives) goes to aa big family reunion that is held every few years in a different part of the world. The family is spread out, some in Europe, some in Canada and the US, some in Asia. So some travel far to get there one year and others do another year.

There are sometimes up to 30 of them, ranging in age from babies to seniors. As Inna said, they plan far ahead, and they don't know for sure who will end up coming. Some who say they will end up not being able to, some who say they can't, may be able to get away at the last moment.

One of the group always takes on finding the Airbnb and discussing the situation with the host, being really upfront about not being able to know exact numbers or exactly who until it happens. He also asks the host if he/she could do a big shop so there is food when they arrive, and of course expects to pay well for this added service.

He has no issue with paying a damage deposit in cash, but they always get it back, because they leave the place in good condition. Sure, they drink, are probably pretty loud with that many people, but the whole thing is about getting together to  reconnect, sharing meals and just having a good time. There isn't any house trashing, they clean up well, and leave a big tip.

I think it's good that there are some places available for this sort of thing, but it takes a vigilant, experienced host in a place set up for that type of gathering, where there are no close neighbors who would be disturbed by that many people in one place.

Absolutely that could work. We have had as many as 21 stay in our place, but we know them well, a BIG family. Total strangers, eeek.