Possible Scam?

Answered!
Elizabeth3082
Level 2
New York, NY

Possible Scam?

We had guests over the Labor Day holiday weekend. On the morning after arrival, he messaged us to say the hot water wasn't working although I know for a fact it was working prior to his arrival. In any case, we called a technician and offered for them to use the shower at our adjacent rental property. The techs came out & said it was working fine ($250 to get them out). The guest messaged again later and said it worked for a bit and then wasn't working again. We put out another service call & offered the guest a reimbursement for 1 night for the inconvenience (even though they had a place to shower on the same property). He countered and asked for half off the entire stay. We agreed because we were fearful of a bad review. Our cleaner arrived just as they were leaving and said the hot water works fine. Is there any recourse with Airbnb? I'd be curious to know if this is a pattern with this guest as I don't want other hosts to lose income. Thanks for any advice!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why did you offer 50% off the entire stay when you send a second supplier out to fix the issue. It sounds all they were entitled to was a small discount for the first night @Elizabeth3082 

Surely you would have know from your supplier that went in for the second time as to why there was a continuing issue with the hot water.

The guest can still leave a bad review so please don't let yourself be blackmailed.

Obviously you can't change the goalposts know you've already agreed such a large refund.

Hopefully you left an honest review to warn your fellow hosts. 

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why did you offer 50% off the entire stay when you send a second supplier out to fix the issue. It sounds all they were entitled to was a small discount for the first night @Elizabeth3082 

Surely you would have know from your supplier that went in for the second time as to why there was a continuing issue with the hot water.

The guest can still leave a bad review so please don't let yourself be blackmailed.

Obviously you can't change the goalposts know you've already agreed such a large refund.

Hopefully you left an honest review to warn your fellow hosts.