Potential guest wants me to call her first on WhatsApp

Marjorie176
Level 2
Waynesville, NC

Potential guest wants me to call her first on WhatsApp

We have been hosting for about six months and it’s been a very positive experience so far. This morning, however, we got a message asking us to pre-approve a three week booking starting tomorrow. The guest has no reviews and wants me to call her on WhatsApp to discuss her booking. This seems suspicious to me. Have any of you had this experience?

18 Replies 18
Jeff2692
Level 2
Martinsburg, WV

Thanks for adding this string.  I just had this happen to me this morning.  I received message for a potential long term guest.  They did not have a completed profile, the language was not english, but translated.  They used the name "Evelyn" and asked if I would message her through WhatsApp.

I advised that I could accommodate a longer term stay of which she explained she was looking for a month, but was not able to provide me exact dates.

This whole communication smelled like a scam and so I advised that I can only communicate via the AirBNB app.

Be watchful everyone

Robb308
Level 2
South Jordan, UT

It's always better to be safe than sorry. If something sounds a little too good to be true, it probably is. Some red flags 🚩 to look for in these types of potential scams and questionable scenarios:

1. Vague Airbnb Guest Profile
    Example: 5-years on Airbnb with limited Guest information, no photo, and no history of host reviews...

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 12.08.54 PM.png

2. Unreasonable Request: Guest is asking Host for information that is either already provided in your Airbnb listing OR the Guest is requesting to ask questions about information that could easily be answered and made available in the provided and relatively safeguarded Airbnb messaging system. Ask yourself, does it make reasonable sense as to why a Guest would want to ask a Host questions on another platform outside of Airbnb? And why?

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 12.10.41 PM.png

3. Be kind but cautious: Be prepared to provide the potential Guest with a kind, thoughtful, and reasonable response to their request (in case they are genuinely not trying to scam you)...Until there is a booking, it is standard policy to keep all communication in the Airbnb platform via Messages. Airbnb keeps all communication on the platform to protect guests and hosts until there is a confirmed booking. Is there a reason why you would want to bypass the provided Airbnb messaging system? What kind of questions do you have about our home that are not already provided in our current listing and that could not be answered here?
  4. Utilize Airbnb Support: If all else fails and you're not sure what to do (sometimes a potential guest/scammer can be pretty persistent), ⚑ Report this guest to Airbnb Support to help make sure you and your property are kept safe.

Example:
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 12.42.02 PM.png

Just my $0.2 cents. Happy Hosting! 😁

Robb Shirley

I've been getting alot of these  kind of booking inquiry... and I mean ALOT! What is going on? Definitely red flag.  I declined them all.

Yes, these types of scams where potential guests are trying to get a host to interact with them outside of Airbnb (e.g., in WhatsApp) are increasingly common. Be diligent, as deceptive attempts will continue... and continue to evolve. Thank goodness Airbnb provides an internal messaging portal and system that is both adequate and sufficient for guests and hosts to interact and communicate with each other. 

Most Airbnb listings already offer the ability to provide sufficient detailed information in the form of descriptions of a home including pictures and videos. There is no need for these types of requests, which should be a red flag 🚩...

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 10.41.00 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-10 at 10.40.27 AM.png

Robb Shirley