Pre check in message

Pre check in message

Hey, what do you all say to your guests prior to check in? Do you message them multiple times prior to check in? I was thinking to message them 48 hours before and 1 hour before check in. What do/ would you include in that message? Thanks 

4 Replies 4
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I don't think you need to the one-hour before check-in message @Asefaw0.  They'll be fine with the message you send 48 hours before check-in and if they're not they'll ask you.

I message mine 10 days before check-in (most of my guests book from three to six months in advance, so a shorter lead-time might be more appropriate for you) with the driving directions, house manual, and guidebook.  That's it for me unless they have questions.  Of course I let them know I'm always available.  And judging by the reviews I get about communication, guests are entirely happy with this arrangement. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Asefaw0 

I try to answer any questions the guest might have as soon as possible and likewise, to make sure I get important information from them, such as check in time. 

Providing all of that is sorted, I message about three days ahead of check in with the address, my phone number, some directions, WiFi and other details (even if these have already been provided as guests often don't take in the information until shortly before their stay).

Some guests still don't absorb any of the info or have to be chased for check in time etc., but I feel like that would be the case regardless of what or when you messaged them. The majority are fine with it. I have consistently gotten 5 stars for communication and check in (those have always been my highest rated categories) so I think it works overall.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Hi

I send a message the morning of check-in so it’s fresh in the guest’s mind. I welcome them and let them know I am looking forward to meeting them. Then I provide my contact info and what to do once they arrive at my place—where to park, getting key, and letting them know I’ll do a 5 to 10-minute tour of my place. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Asefaw0 We send a thank you message when the guest books and then a message with directions to find us, where to park, etc. a few days before their stay. In this message we also ask for the estimated time of arrival. 

Messaging an hour before check in would potentially be an issue for many guests who wouldn't be able to access the message easily on their phones and achieves, in my opinion, very little.