Privacy violation by host, Airbnb removed my review

Amanda2473
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Privacy violation by host, Airbnb removed my review

I stayed at an Airbnb rental at Silverado Resort in Napa Valley and the host used the security camera to spy on me, make false accusations and try and collect additional fees.  All of her accusations were unfounded yet she recorded video of me and others outside of my unit to make erroneous claims.  I felt compelled to write a review of my experience as this was an extreme violation of my privacy and the host behavior should be addressed.  Airbnb removed my post and has told me there is no option to publish again citing the facts of my stay were perceived as retaliation.  It's appalling.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Amanda2473 Without knowing what you wrote and what messages were shared prior to this it is impossible for anyone to really comment. Hosts are now able to get retaliatory reviews removed but the level of 'proof' required that a review is retaliatory is quite high. 

Stephanie2802
Level 2
New York, NY

Did the listing say there were security cameras? I have security cameras and it's listed as such, so if they are on the listing (and if airbnb deleted your comment knowing you mention cameras, I'm going to assume they were given that it's a policy violation not to have them listed), I don't know if you can call it spying. That said, if the host 'made up' claims based on the footage, did you ask for a copy of the footage? You're entitled to it where the claim is concerned, but at the end of the day, security cameras on the property isn't spying, it's simply a safety measure.