Profile requirements discriminate against hosts

Julie4
Level 6
Brighton, United Kingdom

Profile requirements discriminate against hosts

Can anyone please explain how requiring hosts to have a portrait photograph and written profile but not requiring this of guests when making a booking is not discriminating against hosts? Personally I don’t have a problem having this in my host profile, I always have. I think it’s important as I share my home with the guest. However I do have a problem that I’m not provided the same information from a guest who I am potentially inviting into my home. This is making the booking process time consuming in asking guests to provide this before I consider their booking. Airbnb are losing the bookings from me as I would rather be thorough and sure about someone rather than invite a random person with no inclination of who they are or not be able recognise them when they arrive. Im

not that desperate for the money! 

10 Replies 10
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Guest profile photos won’t be displayed until after a booking is confirmed, whether a host demands one or not.

If a guest's profile photo doesn't contain the guest's face and, for example, contains only a cartoon, an avatar, or a picture of something other than a person, you can cancel penalty free by contacting Airbnb.

That is the theoretical procedure. In 8 years I have never have had to reject a booking request because the applicant didn't have a real picture.

Julie4
Level 6
Brighton, United Kingdom

I know this. I’ve been a host for 8 years. This doesn’t answer my question. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Julie4 In a very interesting report Airbnb demonstrated that by not providing pictures of guests prior to booking it reduced discrimination against certain guests. Surely theses a good thing.

If you please read my question this isn’t just about the guests photo. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Julie4 I read your question - I just chose to answer the bit about the photo. Knowing a guests favourite song in school is not of any interest to me.

You really haven’t answered my question and your answer is given  out of context 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

To answer your question no it's not discriminating against hosts @Julie4 

I ask vetting questions of all my guests that wouldn't be covered by them having a completed profile. 

I don't need to see a guests photo until after they have booked . 

Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Julie4  I basically agree with you Julie,  if we as hosts are being asked to complete this new "profile", then yes guests should also be expected to have at least some information about themselves.

Especially when you are an in-home host, this snippet of info is important (ie purpose of visit etc). The photo, not so much.  I don't care what a guest looks like, but I do need to know some basics about who is about to arrive and stay in my home WITH me! I do ask for ID when guests arrive which I think all in-home hosts should require.

@Helen3 Despite the requests in my listing for potential guests to contact me before sending a booking request, I find I am having to decline or ask people to withdraw their request as they have no profile, give me no information, or are very tardy with any response.

A full profile should be compulsory for both guests and hosts, in my opinion.

Julie4
Level 6
Brighton, United Kingdom

Thanks Julia. Yes agreed. ‘Elf’ would like to stay at your place just isn’t enough information and many potential guests think this is ok - Airbnb don’t require anymore than this from guests. It’s wrong and discriminatory.

I have been hosting for 8 years and am very experienced. I want to be comfortable with who I share my home with and at times when I have been lapse I have regretted it. 

A verified ID doesn’t serve to give any further reassurance. Guests can discriminate against hosts just the same as hosts can discriminate against  guests if they so wish from a basic profile so I do not see why a profile is only compulsory for hosts. As I said previously I have no problem providing mine I wish I had more information available from potential guests.

When I receive a request I always check previous reviews & profile information. To get a sense of who I’ll be inviting  into my home. I then request they have a clear photo of their face so I recognise them when they arrive, and to explain the purpose of their visit and clarification  of the accommodation they are looking for to make sure it’s suitable with any further questions. 

I’m not desperate for the money, I enjoy hosting guests and most have been great but Airbnb are losing bookings from me because the process isn’t as transparent and straightforward as it could be - - showing respect to the person at either side of the booking process.

Just wondering if it’s ok for a verified host to use brothers Christian name instead of his own, then later change to an alias on his profile and on booking Alia’s Christian name and real second Christian name as if it’s his sir name ?  First said on profile has been hosting for 16 years. Now changed to hosting for 9 years. Some reviews by guests are using his brothers name, hosts replies to guests reviews show newer Alias.Can’t figure out how he got verified? Rents the same apartment also firstly through a super host who then took off of his listing, now on listings by his wife. Is this normal for Airbnb hosting ?