Profitable during slow season?

Arianna605
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Profitable during slow season?

Hi All,

Im hoping to get some advice on pricing during the slow season, in an area that is NOT a vacation destination but can achieve 80% occupancy.

Ive just listed my home in such area and have noticed using dynamic pricing that some more experienced hosts are listing for as low as $125/night.

How can I stand out as a host that offers quality and keep my rates at a profitable level, at least $205/night?

Im going to add more photos and include shots to nearby attractions but what else? I know that things will pick up in March so how should we strategize and thrive through the slower Jan/Feb months?

Thanks,

Arianna

7 Replies 7
Joel1350
Level 2
Colmar, France

J'ai le même problème, un très beau logement, bien noté, rempli tout le mois de décembre et janvier rien.

Je ne vais pas et je ne peux pas sous évaluer le bien et les frais.

Tarification intelligente, est-ce raisonnable ?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. You can look at what your competitors are charging on Airbnb and other platforms 

2. When you started your STR business did you do any market research to see how other STR owners were marketing their listing and what they were offering ? If not have a look at what they offer to help you stand out .

3. the best way to attract guests is to develop your listing to clearly market it to guests you have identified as your target market.

and to provide amenities that those guests are likely to want ie strong wifi and great desk space for digital nomads. 

then invest in marketing your listing across STR platforms and set up your STR business so you can take direct bookings too. @Arianna605 

Hi and thank you for responding. 

Yes—I have an AirDNA account and watched how the top properties performed for 7/8 months. 

I added all amenities that competitors have and then some such as a high chair and pack n play, and kids utensils and dinnerware.

We plan to really go all out in the backyard by adding additional amenities there but in the meantime we should be shining and top of mind. 

I also list on several OTAs because just one won’t do. 

Is this a matter of staying the course b/c things do get better in  your opinion?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

hard to comment without having done an analysis of your market and listing 

any business takes a while to build so you really need to give it a chance 

as I said direct bookings are something to consider you would need to invest in advertising to drive traffic to your direct booking channels . 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Arianna605 listing on several OTAs can be a double edged sword. By getting fewer bookings from each platform you may not appear high in their search engines.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Arianna605 Are you saying that the other hosts do not offer quality? It may be that the price of 80% occupancy is a rate nearer$125!

That's a possibility!