Prohibition Notice issued by Fire Service on door of rental

Ian-G22
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Prohibition Notice issued by Fire Service on door of rental

Prohibition Notice issued by Fire Service on property

I arrived yesterday at Apartment In East Sussex hosted by Millie to find Prohibition Notice on the property.

contacted host who only responded an hour after AirBnb contacted them not responding to me calls

Millie made excuses but on calling Fire Service they reaffirmed a reinforcement notice has also been issued as they identified residence on the property

a day on and Airbnb advise they are investigating. Meanwhile you could be the next guest and like me find themselves without accommodation

Airbnb MUST protect their customers and immediately remove this property from the website, not least until they complete their investigation

poor form Millie and Airbnb for not acting to protect us all

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Ian-G22 This is a bit strange because Airbnb usually is very good at suspending hosts often unfairly. Why in this case they haven't is, as I say, very odd. Why was the property prohibited? I have never heard of such a thing in the UK. Also did Airbnb rehouse you?

Hi

AirBnb tried hard to find something else for us but we were in town for a festival and nothing available so had to return home

Prohibition Notices are issued by Fire Service were a category A (Severe risk) is known. On calling Fire Service while at the property they advised their had been a fire which raised concerns that no means of escape from upper floors (we were on 4th floor) plus Smoke Detectors not connected

I posted this in frustration that AirBnb have not acted and the next customer is being exposed to danger and the Sam experience us we did

acknowledge they need to complete an investigation but 1 call to Fire Service as we did confirms the situation. I sent them copy of the Prohibition Notice as well

@Ian-G22. Hi Ian, as a host who takes fire safety seriously, thank you for raising this. I assume you also made a complaint to the council authorities who regulate the STR? Yes. Airbnb should have pulled the listing as a safety risk. Hopefully thats done by now?

In my state an STR host must make an annual declaration TO THE STATE that their place abides by state Fire Regulations. If thats a unit in a complex then extra rules apply. If they dont, their registration is revoked and Airbnb notified, irrespective of the host.

Also all units here must comply with annual fire safety checks and rules regarding fire doors, wired smoke detectors whether they are a STR or not.

We dont want a Grenfell here.

Ian-G22
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Thanks Frances

I Confirm reported to Fire Service who have responded on email this morning confirming referred for further action

meanwhile Airbnb still have this as available to book