Reasonable to ask guests to strip bedding before leaving?

Answered!

Reasonable to ask guests to strip bedding before leaving?

My cleaner has asked us to ask guests to strip the beds before they check out. Does this seem reasonable? I know it would make cleaning easier, but I worry that guests may think it’s too much to ask. What do other hosts think? Thank you!

1 Best Answer

Thanks to all for your opinions. I felt it was too much to ask, and you’ve convinced me. If our cleaner balks we can just pay her a bit more. Thanks again!

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cristin3081 we don't do this for 2 reasons. Firstly it allows us to check for stains that may need pre-treating prior to washing and secondly because it feels too much to ask of guests. The latter is especially true if you have a cleaning fee.

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Cristin3081 

Totally agree with @Mike-And-Jane0 on this especially if you charge a cleaning fee and I'm really not sure that it would make cleaning easier because it's so much harder to see any stains when they're in a heap on the floor.  

There are a number of articles of guests complaining of the long list of chores that some hosts ask of their guests and it's just one more reason for guests to skip to another listing that doesn't have a long "to do list" before they depart.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Cristin3081  Don't do it. I agree with everything that @Mike-And-Jane0  and @Joelle43 said. 

Stripping the beds may taken an extra few minutes,  but is not worth the grief it may cause with guests and with untreated stains that will be permanent once laundered. 

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Cristin3081 , I agree with every comment posted here. I resented having to strip sheets, and start a load of laundry (to help housekeeping out according to the host) prior to check out or face a $150.00 penalty for not following check out guidelines and this was after we paid over a $100.00 cleaning fee. I think some host(s) forget we are the guest(s) and not part of their housecleaning staff. 

Best—

Thanks to all for your opinions. I felt it was too much to ask, and you’ve convinced me. If our cleaner balks we can just pay her a bit more. Thanks again!

Margaret1088
Level 3
San Antonio, NM

My guest guidelines say that they can strip the bed if they want - but please don’t make it. And yet, some do. What are they thinking???