Refund for electrical fuse was off

Tara536
Level 2
Wangi Wangi, Australia

Refund for electrical fuse was off

I had 4 guests for one night.  They texted me at 10:20pm saying that the oven and stove doesn’t work.  I refunded them $50.  
On cleaning the bnb I found they had cooked dinner and breakfast - next day. The fuse was off at meter box.  I tested all electrical components to see if it blew the fuse and it didn’t.  I think they did it deliberately to get a refund.  I’m now putting a meter box lock on.....In case of foul play. 
has anyone else had this happen. ??

4 Replies 4

There will allways be cheaters ......

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Tara536  Scammers come up with all kinds of creative ways to get refunds. It's too late now for these guests, but in the future I would suggest not giving immediate refunds. One risk of an immediate refund is that the money hasn't even been paid out to you and if the guest is really shady and asks Airbnb for a refund, they could hold the money and you'd be out double.

I tell guests that Airbnb handles all the money transactions and I'll look into the matter on their behalf to see if a partial refund can be arranged. (or something to that effect)

Tara536
Level 2
Wangi Wangi, Australia

That’s Brilliant. Thank you. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tara536  Life is full of little glitches- fuses blow, washing machines go on the blink, wifi cuts out. I'm not sure where this idea came from that every little complaint or inconvenience is best dealt with by refunding $, but it seems to be quite common. And leads to guests complaining more than they would otherwise, because they assume they'll get some money back.

Whether these folks were scamming or not, to me, "Stove and oven don't work" report at 10:20 PM, would get a "Oh, I'm so sorry-I'll be over to check it out first thing in the morning" response.