Refund for health issue

Suzanne862
Level 2
Arvada, CO

Refund for health issue

I would love some input on a current guest.  She booked from February 6 - April 22, and ever since she has arrived has complained of health issues/ allergies being caused by something inside the home.   We have replaced a $2800 water heater because she said there was an odor in the water, called 911 because she called me complaining of a gas smell in the home (the fire department found nothing), removed all rugs and steam cleaned them because she found dog hair under them (we rent to guests with dogs, of which she brought 3), and offered to deep clean the home again for her.   Long story short, she is leaving this Friday, and wants a  Refund from  Saturday through the end of her reservation.  In addition, her husband backed into the garage door and we are now facing a full replacement of that, because there are no replacement panels available (she basically blamed me for that too, because she didn’t think to ask her husband about it before calling me).   I don’t feel refunding her for the entire unused portion of her stay is fair; I would like to keep the funds that would cover the remainder of March then refund for the April portion, but I know she is going to claim that it is unhealthy for her to stay.  Last week she shared that she had a black mold exposure 8 years ago and it gravely affected her health.   What would you do?     Thank you for your input!  😊

15 Replies 15
Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

+1 @Cathy864 

This person is a maniac at best and a scammer at worst.  Either way, don't play this game with her.  She's awful and needs to be dealt with sternly and with zero patience for her drivel. 

Do not tolerate entitlement.  

And she's responsible for your broken garage door!  She's the one that should be paying you.

Guys, we can't roll over and allow entitlement.  It hurts this whole gig for everyone when guests think they can pull this crap and get away with it.  Airbnb is not a platform for people like this.  They can stay in a hotel and save future hosts.  These kinds of people drive hosts AWAY from the platform for good.  

If your listing sucks or if your a lousy host, you deserve what's coming to you.  You are not either of these things. This guest is unreasonable and downright awful.  Don't budge.  Zero refund.  Get out of my house.  NEXT!