Removing a 1 star retaliatory review

Answered!
Sally116
Level 3
Gold Coast, Australia

Removing a 1 star retaliatory review

I was excited to read retaliatory reviews are being removed. And about time! It's so ridiculous to allow those scam reviews to affect our ratings thus our businesses.
So I sent a message asking to have one of mine removed. ( Yes I have many!) So I started with the first and most obvious no-brainer.
Two friends and their two children checked into my small twin room for 4 nights. It was a year ago so prices were dirt cheap ($244.27) which saw local couch surfers of no fixed abode able to afford a stay (especially if they are banking on scamming a full refund).
They wrote in airbnb messages to me the night before checkout that they "absolutely adored your place! was so beautiful and homely". But just after check out they send a message asking if I saw their request? And then said 'I hope I can still give you a good review.' I had no idea what they were talking about until I see a request for $250. (The amount of the booking) The reason given is that they found syringe needles in a draw. Little doubt there were needles in the room but they weren't there when they checked in as I check every room after cleaner is finished. I didn't pay it . I got a 1 star review.
Airbnb contact me yesterday and say they see nothing wrong with the review. I point out they gave me a one star review as retaliation for not paying the ransom. They don't agree. I ask for it to be escalated. After much discussion she says it will be. They phone today and say they won't be removing it.
So a 1 star review on a superhost's property that has an average of 4.79 from 128 reviews (lower than my identical room because of that 1 star) doesn't look out of place and suspicious to airbnb?? They aren't wondering if there's a reason that guest hated everything about a room that so many others loved???
That fact that they wrote ' I hope I can still give you a good review ' isn't rocket science for "I will give you a good review IF you pay  but I'll retaliate with a one star if you don't ".
Thoughts? Anyone had a similar one taken down?
1 Best Answer
Sally116
Level 3
Gold Coast, Australia

update:  I did what was recommended & continued to put these circumstances to ambassador after ambassador. When they refused to escalate it and the decision was final I opened another case.  Eventually I did get it removed.  I see that some replied here that they would look at it.  Are some of these replies from airbnb staff?  I'm confused.  Very happy to see justice.  I had 128 reviews & 4.78 average.  Once removed I had 127 reviews & average of 4.82 so it was worth it!  Do it!!  

View Best Answer in original post

43 Replies 43
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0 I always appreciate a healthy dose of skepticism - there have been some reports such a this one. If you spot experiences from Hosts who are finding it challenging to follow-up on a review that appears to fall under this new policy, feel free to tag one of us in so we can nudge the team for them please, as we've done here for Sally earlier. 🙂

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Aslea0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Emilie 

I really would like some help . 

Or someone to call me . I've been a superhost for 7 years  and the one time I decided to contact guest  due to condition disrespect  and rules broken . I get a review of 2.

I'm so upset  as I  now regret notifying the guest  on why  she disrespected house rules and what she did .

I was only following what airbnb  said to do Which was contact guest first for resolution . 

So I did and it back fired on me.

And her review is all about me complaining and accusing her .

I don't think any of the  ambassadors  are even reading the review  as the review  clearly states  is all about my accusations and unfounded claims of damage . And she agreed to pay a damage fee to maintain good will .

What good will is she maintaining , a bad review  was her retaliation for good will . 

Ambassadors  won't even call me  they say my number is incorrect.  But it's not its my registered number . I get text messages  and messages  but no one will call .

It's upsetting that guest are getting away with  doing this to many hosts .

Thankyou for your consideration in trying to get to the truth 

Angel 

Reviews should be relevant to the property and the stay, not personal attacks.

I would like to know to . 

Because so many hosts are saying airbnb are refusing to remove . 

So the new retaliatory policy is not true I guess . 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Sally116  yes, this is 100% a no brainer, this is against the rules and is extortion. should be removed, should have been removed a year ago actually. Keep trying, and thanks for sharing. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Sally116  Nothing is more infuriating than stupidity.  Why would a CS person be asked to not make a judgement when a review is being used as leverage in an obvious scam? The fact it passed through more than one level is also very alarming, for then it shows is a corporate problem.

Mean-spirited reviews do not serve Airbnb well on many counts: it causes their review system to be viewed as suspect because it shows it could be easily manipulated and it also gives ideas to hustlers since they see how easy is to do so. Besides it defies fairness and that inherently bothers most people. It is a bad look all around.

Most of them don't even read the reviews 🙂 I had caught them at least 4-5 times when they were "listening" to me and browsing web to apply to other jobs in other companies. Most of the time, those guys work for 3rd party company that heavily underpays them.

I agree they don't  because the the replies I recieved just were not making sense AND different excuses to why the review was fine . 

A policy is a policy , how can the reasons change 

Aslea0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Yep 100 % 

Basically I was told a guest is not breaking rules by retaliating  because  myself as host contacted them after check out to let them know they broke rules . So 100% it's showing guests they have the power to not respect property, ignore house rules  and get away with it . 

Airbnb is struggling in latest reports , maybe cost hosts are not accepting bookings due to guest getting away with breaking rules 

Wow. Where

is that rule stated regarding not communicationing woth guests?  Is that true,

Community Managers?  Most hosts are very intelligent, capable people.  All we asking for is a clear set of rules and policies  that make practical common sense in the real world.

Airbnn should also require Hosting experience when hiring customer service employees.

Sally116
Level 3
Gold Coast, Australia

update:  I did what was recommended & continued to put these circumstances to ambassador after ambassador. When they refused to escalate it and the decision was final I opened another case.  Eventually I did get it removed.  I see that some replied here that they would look at it.  Are some of these replies from airbnb staff?  I'm confused.  Very happy to see justice.  I had 128 reviews & 4.78 average.  Once removed I had 127 reviews & average of 4.82 so it was worth it!  Do it!!  

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Sally116 Thanks for coming back to update us, I'm glad it's all been resolved now! Nobody on the Community Center is part of the Support team, however we read everything you and other Hosts share here and where needed and possible we'll do what we can to help. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

and now what should happen... you should get your superhost retroactively put back. 

Good show @Sally116 !

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Sally116 ,

Glad you are happy about having it removed now. To answer your confusion, the people who escalated it for you are the Online Community Managers (Moderators) of this forum, including me. Thanks for getting back to us and giving an update about your situation. Kudos to your resilience🙌

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines