Rome tourist tax

Vincent1329
Level 1
Ventura, CA

Rome tourist tax

I just got this message from my host. Am staying a month, so it's a decent amount of money involved. I understand that the tax was ~3 euro but now supposedly a lot more. And uncertainty about whether there's a limit to the days taxed or not. 

"HI XXX the Tourist tax in Rome has an increase from 3.5 euro per person per night to 6 euro. for reservation before the 1st of October the difference needs to be paid cash. I just received the communication from Airbnb sorry for the inconvenience but Rome's Major is a real mess."

Any thoughts on if this is legit?

Thx, 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Vincent1329 the tax has gone up - Is it fair to pass this increase on? Not sure....

Shirley26
Level 10
Madison, WI

Probably legit, but very cconvoluted
I found this info in Airbnb's Help Center

Rules
Occupancy tax collection and remittance by Airbnb in Italy
Custom occupancy tax collection and remittance options in Italy

If you are a host with a short term rental (a short term rental is any listing with a category on this list) outside of the below municipalities where Airbnb is collecting and remitting on your behalf (see “Default occupancy taxes collection and remittance by Airbnb in Italy” section below) but within a municipality that imposes a Tourist Tax in Italy and has opted in to this program, you can now use the new custom tax tool to set the Tourist Tax rate and rules in the Taxes section under Pricing and Availability in your listing page. With this feature, you can set the type of tax, and the way your municipality wants to collect it (on percentage per booking, or fee per guest per night), and what your municipality wants to collect it on (nightly price, fees, and other charges). Airbnb will collect the tax, based on the rates and rules you set, from guests and remit it directly to the Tax Authorities in your municipality on your behalf. Visit your local municipality website for more information on what rate and rules to set. If your municipality has a Tourist Tax and has not opted into the program mentioned above, then the tool will not yet be available to you. Airbnb will notify you once it’s available.

If you are a host with a non-short term rental (a non-short term rental is any listing with a category that is not on this list) within any municipality that imposes a Tourist Tax in Italy, you are eligible to collect taxes directly from guests by using our professional hosting tools. With this feature, you can set the type of tax, and the way your municipality wants to collect it (on percentage per booking, or fee per guest per night), and what you want to collect it on (nightly price, fees, and other charges). Check out our article on adding taxes to your listings for more information.

If you are a host with a listing in one of the municipalities listed below (see the “Default occupancy taxes collection and remittance by Airbnb in Italy” section below), Airbnb will continue to collect and remit the Tourist Tax on your behalf unless otherwise noted. There will be no change - Airbnb will continue to collect and remit as we are today. See below for more information.

Rome

Guests who book Airbnb listings that are located in Rome, Italy will pay the following taxes as part of their reservation:

• Tourist Tax: 2.00 - 7.00 € per person per night, depending on the listing category, up to a maximum of 5-10 nights for reservations in Rome, Italy. For detailed information, please visit the Municipality of Rome website.

https://www.comune.roma.it/web/it/scheda-servizi.page?contentId=INF41430

Eva394
Level 1
Rome, Italy

It is true. Rome major has increased the city tax . Airbnb couldn’t update the system in time. There is a “gap” so the balance is asked afterwards. You can do a little research your own and find out more.

bests