Script for when a guest breaches important house rules

Polly164
Level 4
Geelong, Australia

Script for when a guest breaches important house rules

Hello! I see there are many Hosts asking what to do when guests break rules, so I thought I would share a "quick reply" I have now drafted, to send to guests in this situation. I recently experienced really hostile guests who completely disrupted my enjoyment of my home. So this draft script / template has been drafted based on what I learnt from this experience.

_____

Dear [guest first name]

It appears that you may have
[select from the list]
allowed unregistered visitors onto my property.
left the house unlocked while away.
been noisy enough for neighbours to complain.
not kept your dog contained on the property.
been using the house for activities beyond what you stated and agreed.

This is a breach of the contract we both agreed to when you made your booking.

I am happy to overlook this should you correct this issue and return to the original agreement
[select from the list]
by the end of today (5:00pm).
by midday today.
by first thing tomorrow morning (9:00am).
for the rest of the booking.

I hope you understand that the booking rules have been written to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all guests, neighbours, myself and any animals who stay on the property. I take the safety of current and future residents very seriously.

Please reach out if anything unexpected has occurred during your stay, so that you and I can resolve this by mutual agreement. I understand that plans can change. I only ask that this be communicated and agreed.

If you cannot correct this or have not contacted me to negotiate a booking change, I will pursue a resolution through AirBnB Support and their Resolution Centre.

Under AirBnB policies, breaches of house rules can result in an immediate cancellation of the booking with no refund, which also requires immediate exit from the building. I may also seek reimbursement for any of the costs of resolving this issue, including my time.

I hope you will stay though, and continue to enjoy the booking as previously agreed. Or else communicate any changes you seek so that we can come to an agreement.

Again, please reach out if something unexpected has occurred during your stay.

Sincerely
[Host]

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Polly164 I really wouldn't use this approach as it will almost guarantee a bad review. Unless other guests/neighbours are being disturbed or damage is being done I would not mention transgressions to the guest and just leave them an honest review after the stay.

Also I do not agree to lying to a guest - If you cancel their stay then you have to refund them the days they don't stay so saying they will be cancelled with no refund is just not true.

Even though Polly’s template can’t fit every host in every situation, it’s a much needed step towards potential concerns that Airbnb have not adequately addressed.

We need to hear more such ideas. As the old boss says, “don’t come to me with problems, come to me with solutions.”

Thanks Mike-and-Jane. That's a good point about the refund, too. I was thinking about a particular booking I'd had. I'll update the script so that it is more accurate.

For me, this script is not for ordinary transgressions or last-minute changes. It's for guests who are deliberately dishonest and are breaking multiple house rules and refusing to respond to your attempts to address this. So it's like a final warning, I guess. 

Where I am there are increasing reports of pretty hostile guests launching fake reports of pests and Host misdemeanours against Hosts just in order to reduce the cost of the booking. If I didn't also live in my Listing, I probably wouldn't care. But I do, and so do many of the Hosts near me. We can't afford to have guests not be respectful of our home and us. 

Margaret1088
Level 3
San Antonio, NM

Many thanks - you’ve offered a sensible template for those of us who’ve recognized the concerns. Cheers!

Polly164
Level 4
Geelong, Australia

Slightly amended thanks to Mike-and-Jane's feedback, and that of another Host. 

_____

Dear [guest first name]

I have noticed that you may have

[select from the list]

allowed unregistered visitors onto my property.

left the house unlocked while away.

been noisy enough for neighbours to complain.

not kept your dog contained on the property.

been using the house for activities beyond what was agreed.

I am happy to overlook this, but ask that you please review the house guide and rules and follow these for the rest of the booking.

Also, reach out if anything unexpected has occurred during your stay, so that you and I can resolve this by mutual agreement. I understand that plans can change.

I hope you understand that the booking rules have been written to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all guests, neighbours, myself and any animals who stay on the property. I take the safety of current and future residents very seriously.

If we are not able to come to an agreement, then I may contact AirBnB Support for resolution. This may incur additional costs.

I hope you will stay and continue to enjoy the booking as agreed in the booking rules and guidelines. Or else communicate any changes you seek so that we can discuss this.

Again, please reach out if something unexpected has occurred during your stay.

Sincerely

[Host]

Comes on too strong imo.

I have a template I use when someone breaches the "quiet time" house rules though, and so far has worked pretty well.

I basically just say that our quiet time is between so and so. Now it's past that, so they can continue to take their call in another place etc.

But I word it in a polite manner so as not to offend the guest. 

So I think the idea of a template is good, but yours is not something I would not use.