Serious Issues with Booking - Sex Workers Permitted by Air BNB

Gaurav130
Level 1
Moncton, Canada

Serious Issues with Booking - Sex Workers Permitted by Air BNB

I recently had a distressing experience with an Airbnb booking that I need to bring to your attention. An individual booked my apartment, and instead of staying there themselves, they sent a sex worker who brought multiple clients throughout the night. There was drug use on the premises, which resulted in a strange odor. Upon reviewing footage from my security camera located in the garage, outside the apartment entrance, I observed numerous people entering and leaving the apartment all night.

Airbnb did not verify the identity of the person who made the booking. The sex worker also stole valuable items from my apartment, including a projector, paintings, and other valuables. When I reported this to Airbnb, their response was disappointing. They instructed me to remove the camera from the garage and suspended my listing. The individual who made the booking never stayed at the apartment, and illegal activities were conducted on my property.

It appears that Airbnb prioritizes revenue over the safety and security of their hosts and properties. Despite the severe nature of my complaint, they failed to take appropriate action. This experience raises serious concerns about Airbnb’s policies and their commitment to host safety.

2 Replies 2
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Gaurav130 

I am sorry this happen to you.

This is not meant as an insult, I didn't have your experience but I had an experience were the Guest showed up at my house an it was very obviously not the person in the Airbnb Profile Picture, so honest experience.

Airbnb is just a computer platform.  Has no contact with the Host or Guest when booking.   Airbnb has done a Host ID validation and a Guest validation.  Just like any online platform you use the computer has no way of validating who is using the account.  

They were right how would they know?

I now require just viewing at check in all legal IDs of any guests.  Disclosing that in my description and reenforcing before approval last year.  This year the scammers just ignore me and most guests have it ready when I open door,  No negatives for med.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello I'm sorry you had this awful experience but confused why you have CCTV but don't monitor it when the guest checked in/during their stay. @Gaurav130 

it's our responsibility as the business owner to vet our guests carefully and check the listing via CCTV if we use it. 

if you had you would have known the guest who booked was not the one using the property and could have had Airbnb cancel and you or your cohost could have gone there and evicted those at your property . 

Airbnb did advise hosts several months ago that internal cameras are no longer be allowed so hopefully you can move it to your entrance outside . And that they would suspend hosts using inside cameras. 

airbnb do minimum vetting of hosts or guests you can always add to your house rules and description that you require photo ID