Service animals

Rebecca860
Level 2
Rancho Santa Fe, CA

Service animals

A guest recently brought 3 large rotweiller dogs that were not previously disclosed. I saw them in the security cameras and requested the pet fee according to my house rules. She said they were all 3 service dogs. Never were they leashed or had vests when they left. They were left alone in the home and in the yard. They did not clean up after them - dog poop all over the yard and on the deck. There is black dog hair in the beds, on the couches and all over the home. They checked out yesterday and the cleaners did not have time to clean up all the dog hair with everything else they had to clean. I will be going there tonight to clean up the dog hair before the next guest arrives. I know I can't ask for documentation, but this seems like a gross abuse of service animals. I have trained 2 service dogs myself through CCI and am an advocate of service animals, but thie experience has left me feeling violated. Is there anything I can do?

2 Replies 2
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Rebecca860 

No you can't ask them to prove their need but you can send then a copy of Airbnb's documentation.  I just make clear That my expectations are what Airbnb defines

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Rebecca860  While I can't make any concrete assumptions, it sounds like the guest utilized the "service animal" policy to circumvent extra charges (pet fees).  True service dogs are very well behaved and are typically not left alone to run wild/freely in a space that is not their home.  While you cannot ask for documentation you are allowed to ask the following:

• Whether the guest requires their service animal because of a disability
  • What work or task the service animal has been trained to perform

Additionally, per Airbnb policy 

• A guest’s service animal must not be:
    • Out of control
    • Un-housebroken
    • Left alone at the listing without prior approval
    • Allowed into areas that are considered unauthorized to the guest
    • Allowed in a public space without being harnessed, leashed, or tethered and not under the guest’s control

This guest did not follow policy in place for service animals, which is a violation.  Additionally, as with any pet in Airbnb space, there is a reasonable expectation that guest will clean up after their animal. Moving forward, if a guest brings service animals and violates policy and/or is not cleaning up after them message the guest first and let them know of the concern. If they continue to fail to follow the rules you can reach out to Airbnb for support and explore your options such as cancelling, etc