Should I Provide Propane for BBQ Grill?

Answered!
MariaCecilia22
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

Should I Provide Propane for BBQ Grill?

Hello

We provide BBQ grill and propane, but I have a new guest asking for a full tank of propane and an extra one just in case they run out.  On our listing it just mentions BBQ grill it doesn't mention that we provide propane but we provide it it anyway.

Just wondering if any host offers the propane for free to use the BBQ grill or you ask the guest to bring their own?

Thanks.

1 Best Answer
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@MariaCecilia22  What an odd request. It would be difficult to go through an entire propane tank during one stay, never mind need a back up. Are they slow roasting a pig on the q or what? How long is this stay? 

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14

I just mention grilling outside over water views.I do supply propane if it runs but it is not listed in my amenities as a have to so to speak, like paper products supplied .I guess if your offering like kitchen use you supply electricity or gas for stove maybe guest just assumed. Asking for another propane tank in case  they run out um, no way. They can inform you when tank empty. Just my 2cents, good luck.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

Here in Ontario, Canada summer BBQ'S are part of the cottage experience.  To have a BBQ and no propane would drop our rating significantly.  Same as not having a grill for the firepit.  We always have 2 propane tanks available.😁

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I'm wondering just how much grilling they are planning on doing? (And for how many??) Is this a long term let? I can get several kiln firings out of a 5 gallon tank and that's getting up to 1000 degrees f. each time-could they be planning a party? Best of luck!

it's  2 adults and a toddler.

it's for 2 days.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@MariaCecilia22  What an odd request. It would be difficult to go through an entire propane tank during one stay, never mind need a back up. Are they slow roasting a pig on the q or what? How long is this stay? 

i informed him that tank is still full, more than enough to cover their two days stay. 

@MariaCecilia22 Generally, I think with any amenity provided, whatever energy source is required to operate it should be provided at no extra charge. But what this guest is asking for would be for use that goes beyond reasonable and normal. A full tank for a short stay for two adults is plenty. I would say add something to your listing specifying the rules are regarding bbq propane, but I doubt this is something that would come up as an issue again. People are interesting, aren't they? As @Sally221  mentioned, hopefully this isn't a large party in the making, disguised as 'booking for 2 with toddler'.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@MariaCecilia22  I think you should be quite specific in your listing info about whether or not you provide the propane, whether it would have an extra charge, etc.

It is a very odd request, considering the number of people and the length of stay.

What occurs to me is that he maybe had some other experience where the propane ran out when his meal was half cooked. Either that or he's planning a party. Or planning to make off with a full propane tank.

LOL, I had to laugh at that last part, though so true, "Planning to make off with a full propane tank"   I am planning on supplying BBQ Grill in the Yard, so nice to know experiences others are having.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@MariaCecilia22   We supply a single tank with a back up available from housekeeping.  We do not specify in the listing that the propane is provided.  We do not charge the guest for propane use.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

We supply a tank and a spare. I think it is expected that if you provide the grill you also supply propane.

As guests we have more than once found ourselves with an empty tank and no back-up and that is extremely inconvenient. So I can see that this request might arise from that kind of experience. But asking for two full tanks is kind of extreme.

Byron54
Level 10
La Ceiba, Honduras

I provide a BBQ Grill with the propane tank, whenever it runs out i have a spare one.

But i recently stayed at an Airbnb where the host charges $10 if you want to use the grill (per day) and even has a schedule. 

@Byron54 

i can almost agree with this idea of charging.  I was going to offer guests a $50 refund if they DON’t use the BBQ!  I am so sick of scrubbing it clean between guests. If it ever breaks, I would not replace it. Just not worth the work to clean it as I think it should be spotless for the next guest.