Should I get a cat in a shared apartment?

Should I get a cat in a shared apartment?

Hi everybody! Looking for some advice from other hosts. My listing is a guest bedroom in a shared apartment. I've had a lot of success hosting for the past 2 years, typically hosting several guests each month. I live in a great central location in Manhattan so I always have lots of requests. However, I am considering getting a cat right now and just trying to weigh if this could significantly hurt my AirBnb business. I would love to hear from any Hosts who got a cat - did you see a significant drop off in bookings or inquiries? Or for those who have always owned cats - do you find many people surprised or wanting to cancel a booking when you tell them? Just curious to hear advice on whether you guys think this is a really bad idea for my Airbnb business or not. 🙂 I really want one! But I do rely on the business to support my 2 bedroom Manhattan rent. Thanks so much for any advice!

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Some guests love animals, others will avoid your place because of a pet.

I think it's also about your lifestyle, as you will need to be around to feed it/look after it and make sure it doesn't get into your guest bedroom and other communal space the guest may not want a cat such as sitting on a dining room table. And arrange for it to be cared elsewhere if you go away for  a weekend for example or overnight.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Beth3625  I can only speak for myself, and for me, I would never put my pets in a situation where they would be left alone, and therefore at risk from guests, at risk of getting accidentally locked in somewhere, accidentally being fed something harmful by guests, or at worst, accidentally let out and lost, or even worse, that guests might do something bad to a pet.  Many hosts say they do really well hosting with pets in their apartments, but it would not be something I would ever do. 

Yeah I've definitely had that concern. I was thinking I would leave the cat in my bedroom with the door closed anytime I'm not home. I have a spacious bedroom (the size of many studio apartments in NYC). But I guess theoretically a guest could open the door and do something to the cat. Although if that happens, it would mean I have a crazy person staying with me and then I have bigger problems.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can do that if you are on the ground floor and you are happy to have the cat litter tray in your room (something personally I wouldn't be happy with).

@Beth3625  I guess if you put a lock on the bedroom door so guests couldn't go in, that might be okay. 

Otherwise, even with a closed door and instructions, people will still do dumb stuff.  Our own family and friends have accidentally let our cats out because they aren't used to having to watch opening doors, etc. So, they're hauling in luggage, leaving all the doors open and then, boom, cat is outside.  I can't imagine leaving them in a situation where someone who wasn't being paid to look after them would be in charge of their safety.  It is also true that some guests will say they have no problem w/pets and then show up and be deathly afraid of them.  But, other hosts do it and say it works fine.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We've had cats since we began our Airbnb journey back in the very beginning, @Beth3625, and it hasn't hurt us. Looking at your listing - and the fact that people love staying with you - you're clearly not going to struggle getting bookings with or without cats. 

My only worry is how much a new kitty is going to love pulling that sofa apart...once it's demolished your carpets/rugs. 

Hello from Melao!Hello from Melao!