Should I offer a refund?

Kristen647
Level 2
Denver, CO

Should I offer a refund?

Hey guys,

I have a unique situation.  I have a townhome on a small Bahamas island.  It was just hit with a bad storm which caused a break in the water main.  Now my townhome does not have running water, but no one else on that part of the island has running water either, so there’s nothing I can do about it.  Since it isn’t a fault of my townhome would you offer the guest a refund, and if so, how much?

Thank you for the advice! 😊

Kristen 

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Kristen647 I can only really answer for English Law or for what is morally right. I think you must offer a refund as you cannot offer a habitable space which is what you contracted to do. Now that is all you need to do as it is an act of God so no consequential damages can be claimed by the guest.

Having said all that is it possible for the guest to stay - Can they use pool water for washing and flushing toilets and bottled for drinking/cooking? If so then perhaps a conversation with the guest as to what they want to do (and how much discount they deserve) seems a sensible approach.

Abi010
Level 8
England, United Kingdom

First of all, accept my sympathy, especially at this time of the year and the  stress 😩.  My own advice will be to refund ,and explain the situation to the guest,  saves you from having negative review. 

I hope  all works well