Should i let this guest book my unit?

Answered!
Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Should i let this guest book my unit?

I have recently received an inquiry from a prospective guest who comes recommended by one of our regular clients, a guest who returns to our listings on a monthly basis. However, I have noted that this particular guest's profile displays a 3.5-star average rating based on four reviews, half of which are positive and the other half negative. The negative reviews specifically mention issues regarding kitchen cleanliness, including improper disposal of food waste in the sink. What do you guys think? Shall i give the prospective guest a chance?

Top Answer
Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Quick update for everyone! The guest checked out and the room was squeaky clean! Gave him a 5 star rating and a good review. Hope other hosts will also give him a chance to book. 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽 Thank you for all of your inputs. It spared me from all the unnecessary anxiety haha 💖💖💖💖💖

@Mar125 @John5097 @Nur785 @Deb216 @Ann72 

View Top Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

If I were you @Bea2137 I might reach out to the regular guest who referred the person and express your concerns privately and ask what they think.  

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Has the client who recommended them had them stay in one of their properties @Bea2137 

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

@Bea2137 , I would ask the potential guest why the past hosts left such reviews...and give him/her an opportunity to admit fault and promise not to repeat the poor behaviour.  At least you'd have something in writing...not that it would help you with Aircover unfortunately.

(Was he/she much younger when he/she left such a mess behind?)

Then I'd think long and hard before agreeing.

If you decide to risk it, and give him/her another chance, be prepared to kick yourself in the pants later 😉 

Hosting is such a gamble these days!

This year especially!

Good luck!

That's great advice @Deb216.  I did that once for someone with a low rating but only one bad review that I could see.  I told him I would accept but that my caretaker would have to stop by every day to check on the place and make sure it was okay.  That got him to step up, explain what had happened to drive his rating down, and mind his p's and q's when he stayed, and I didn't have the caretaker go by.

And to your remark about hosting being such a gamble these days - agreed!  There's a sour and suspicious tone from more guests than usual since 2021.  

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Thanks for all your advice @Ann72 @Deb216 @Helen3 

I’ve accepted the request and reminded the guest of my house rules. Hoping for a good outcome. 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

@Bea2137,

I am curious.

What did this person say when you asked why the other hosts' homes were left in such a mess?

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Rather than asking, I just told the guest that the person who referred my listing is a VVIP guest and put emphasis that one of the reasons is that they always leave the listing squeaky clean 😅

@Bea2137 

That's a good strategy. You've been them on notice that their behavior would reflect on the regular guest. I'm curious to see how it will go. 

@Deb216 @Bea2137 

I'm curious as well. From the review he may have just cleaned his dishes in the sink that didn't have a disposal. I've done that before when I didn't know any better and other roommate who was in charge blew a fuse, and if I forgot to put the toilet seat back down he would slam it with all his might and start cussing. 

Really hard to tell. I've declined guest and explained that it was the very negative review but she explained the situation and I sent another booking offer. She ended up canceling but I have no doubt it would have been perfect guest.

I wouldn't even worry about it.   

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Bea2137 

If guest’s messy but not damaging and have left on time, i would do it.

Honestly, air cover can generally cover the extra messy issues , but not really the holes on the walls, missing ACs, etc. 

i’ve had 3.5 star guests who end up sending flowers to thank me for his stay. 

and he was not bad at all. 

however, if guest’s really bad, you may wanna collect some deposit upfront 

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Quick update for everyone! The guest checked out and the room was squeaky clean! Gave him a 5 star rating and a good review. Hope other hosts will also give him a chance to book. 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽 Thank you for all of your inputs. It spared me from all the unnecessary anxiety haha 💖💖💖💖💖

@Mar125 @John5097 @Nur785 @Deb216 @Ann72