Shower is clogged guest doesn't want a plumber to be there during their stay?

Answered!
Susan3495
Level 2
Tempe, AZ

Shower is clogged guest doesn't want a plumber to be there during their stay?

Guests are staying 5 nights and have stayed one night and The guest text messaged this afternoon that the shower is not draining but they do not want to be bothered by a plumber being there during their stay and only want a partial refund for the inconvenience of only having ability to use one shower there instead of two.

Can I still have a plumber go to fix ? Or what amount of refund do you suggest ? 

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Susan3495 

It is not up to the guest to decide whether or not to have a plumber at the listing. That is your choice.

Are you sure you need a plumber - you can often fixed slow draining showers with chemical drain cleaner solution.

Say that you need access as the shower needs to be fixed but to minimise impact you or your co-host will go over and firstly use a drain cleaner solution and if that does not work you will get a plumber in but be there for that so there are not inconvenienced @Susan3495 

How many people are at the property?  I would only offer a small nightly amount for it not being available (depends on the overall cost). So if it is only not available for one day then just discount for one day.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16

@Susan3495  The "hair metal stick thingy" is called a plumber's snake. Although I kinda like the sound of your version :-))😄🙂

For the future, if you've ever been having a problem with something just before guests are arriving, even though you think you've solved the problem, it's not a bad idea to mention it to the guests. "We had a bit of a clog in the shower drain this morning and I and my handyman worked on it, and it seems to be fine now, but please let me know if it seems to be draining poorly and I'll arrange to have a plumber in tomorrow."

They still might not have wanted to be disturbed by a plumber visit, but at least you've let them know that you are aware of it, have worked on it, and are more than willing to address it if it is a problem. Rather than them arriving and just finding something not working properly, which can make guests a bit disgruntled from the start of their booking, as if you just don't take care of the place. Which I can see you do- it's quite nice.

You should maybe try to find some kind of shower drain screen or filter that keeps hair from going down the drains and make sure it gets cleaned at every changeover, so you don't have the same issue in the future. 

They said their 3 daughters are flying in the next day so I didn’t hear about that shower not draining until 24 hours after the mom and dad had checked in.  So I doubt they would have been exposed to the drano with their feet. Thank God