Slow Season

Kimberly893
Level 1
Grass Valley, CA

Slow Season

Bookings have been slow since the beginning of September. Is anyone else experiencing this? I keep applying discounts but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any suggestions?

8 Replies 8

@Kimberly893 

Yes, traditionally Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec (except Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's) is generally slow in most markets.

- You can try and use Custom Promotions to get more "eyes" on your listing and discount prices. Just remember that other discounts like early bird and last minute will "stack" on a custom promotion.

How to Create a Custom Promotion

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2982

- You can use this time to get professional photos done (if you haven't already) and make upgrades to the interior of the listing.

- You can encourage longer stays by offering discounts for longer stays

Thank you for verifying that this is the slow season.

I use Custom Promotions all the time. It's not helping. I also have discounts for longer stays. I've reduced the minimum night requirement down to one night. My rates are the lowest in the area. Nothing is helping.  It's a long time to go without any bookings. The competition, meaning the amount of bookings in the area, has quadrupled since I began in Grass Valley 7 years ago. The market is now saturated with too many hosts and it's making it difficult to make it a viable source of income.

@Kimberly893 

The Hosts I work with are seeing the same. The only other thing to try is to cast a wider net by using other platforms (Vrbo), social media, and/or direct booking site. I just checked and see you only offer rooms, so you won't be able to list on Vrbo.

You could also try to get more mid term stays by using other platforms that specialize in that. I have seen one Host have some success with marketing the listing to both short and mid-long term stays. Of course, you would have to decide if you wanted someone staying longer than normal...might not always work out in a home-share situation.

You have to rent the whole house to use VRBO. I might be able to do more with social media. I do use one other booking site and that has helped, but it's not enough. I will check into sites that specialize in more mid-term stays or mid-long term stays. That's the only think I haven't tried yet. Do you have any suggestions for specific sites?

Thank you for your suggestions.

@Kimberly893 

Yes...i checked your listings after I posted and realized you're listings are not whole home, so can't list on Vrbo.

The Mid Term platforms I hear mentioned alot are Furnished Finder and Zillow. Are you near any colleges or hospitals?

You can modify your Airbnb Title and description to mention you welcome long term stays. Do you have a desk in any of the rooms where guests can work with comfortable chair? That is important for remote workers. Something like "Discounts for 30+ Days." Then mention something in the description that you have W/D and outdoor space that are appealing to mid term stays. 

I appreciate those suggestions. I'll give them a try. I am near a hospital and near a community college. I have one room with a table that works well as a desk. 

Thank you so much!

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kimberly893 😊

I am glad you have found a Host to discuss your concerns with!

I would like to share with you a tip to better communicate in the community. Don't forget to mention the Host by typing @ followed by their name so they will know you're replying to them!

Warm regards🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I actually tried to find your listing(s) by doing a search on Airbnb, and couldn't find any of them.

What page are they on, when you search using Edge with incognito mode?