Sofa beds

Natasha388
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Sofa beds

Hello 

I just wondered if anyone has any advice on sofa beds, what are the most comfortable style - pull out or click clac? And do you add a mattress topper to make them more comfortable? Any advice would be very much welcome 🙂 

thanks 

Natasha 

18 Replies 18
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Natasha388  I hope you’re well.

I’ve had this pullout sofabed from Ikea in my own place for about 5 years- and in some of my other listings too.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/friheten-corner-sofa-bed-with-storage-skiftebo-dark-grey-s09133543/

It stands the test of time and is comfortable to sleep on (on the firm side) easy to clean and also has space for linens, mattress topper if you want underneath!

Paul 🙂 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Not sure if it's an age thing (in fact, I know it is), but I've yet to find a sofa bed that I'd spend a night on, but if @Paul1255 says it exists, then maybe I've been looking (or sleeping) in the wrong places. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm the same as you @Gordon. 🙂

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

+1 here @Helen3 @Gordon0 🙂 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Spend a night at mine @Gordon0  I’ll change your mind aha 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There's an offer, @Paul1255 😎

@Gordon0 Its good to see you back. Have you ben away?

Thanks, @Mike-And-Jane0, and no, just a little self-imposed exile. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I believe I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say that we've missed you @Gordon0 

Natasha388
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you for the advice! @Paul1255 i had actually looked at this exact sofa bed it’s great to hear that it stands the test of time, thank you very much for your help 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

No worries @Natasha388 🙂

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Natasha388  I don't have a brand to recommend, but I think the ones that have a separate  mattress are much better than those that simply fold down because there is a greater change w/the fold down types that guests might not bother to put sheets on which makes it less sanitary and more chance for ruining of the sofa. 

Natasha388
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

That’s a good point thank you @Mark116 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Natasha388 I have an ancient sofa bed that was very cheap, £250, when I bought it 23 years ago from a cheap catalogue high street shop. It's a pull out one, metal frame & a 'trampoline' type base, - strong fabric suspended by springs. The mattress included is only  1-2" thick, but one the ONE time I slept on it about 4 years ago it was VERY comfortable! (Even in my mid 50s!) - More comfortable than many a cheap mattress I've slept on!

I've read reviews from local 'rival' hosts with clic-clack sofa beds... - LOTS of complaints about them being hard & uncomfortable!

Go for the pull out bed, but not the solid base sort, the TRAMPOLINE sort! I figure it's the springs round the edge which allow 'give' which make it comfortable! - And if you added a memory foam topper, it would be even more comfy!  (I have CHEAP 3" memory foam toppers on my bed & one guest bed, bought off the internet - £30 single, $40 double. They are supremely comfortable; guests & I say so!)

That said, would the springs suspending the trampoline stand up to regular use? Might it depend on whether ALL your guests would use the sofa bed, or just occasional ones, i.e. 2 mates not wanting to share a double bed, or a  2 bed/4 guest house being occasionally used to sleep 6 via the sofa bed in the living room?