Suddenly no AirBnB alerts are coming to my cellphone and support has not been helpful

Wanda70
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Suddenly no AirBnB alerts are coming to my cellphone and support has not been helpful

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, any ideas on resolving it? I have been back and forth with support people for four days now and tried via Twitter too. My notifications are set up for messages to come to my cellphone and my email and in October when I had my last booking, it worked perfectly. Many messages as the young woman had a difficult time booking so her mom and her dad got involved and some academic counsellor and finally her mom booked for her. All was fine.

But then last week I had no cell alerts and when I went, a couple of days later, to the email I use for AirBnB, there had been three messages from someone wanting to book. She must have booked elsewhere by then as I replied but I was two and three days later for respective messages. I do my AirBnB on my laptop so get the cell alerts then log in from my desk.

If someone has had such an issue, please tell me how you resolved it. Thanks.

Best Wanda Hennig, Durban

12 Replies 12

@Wanda70 

Several other Hosts mentioning problems with this after the latest software update on iPhones. The suggestion is to delete the App on your phone, then re-install it.  Also when re-installing, make sure to turn on ALL App notifications when prompted.

Hi Joan — Thank you. I don't have an iPhone it's a Samsung, so not sure if that was a specific iPhone issue. But also, I don't have the app downloaded on my phone and don't wish to. I like to use my laptop, as I am now, for most "business" stuff and just get alerts to my phone. So in the past I would get an alert that there is an AirBnB booking or message and then I would go check on my laptop. But suddenly no alerts to my cellphone, which I always have with me. A bummer having to log into my email on my laptop (I don't use my phone for email) to keep checking, just as of the last month. My most recent support issue say they have referred my case to a technician. Taken four days to get that far... Thank you again.

Well @Wanda70 ....that is strange. A few more things to try:

1. Try logging off Airbnb on your Computer

2. Then log back in using your email address (not your phone number)

3. Then go to your account and click the Notifications icon. Check that all notifications are ON for email & texts.

Account Selections.png

Thanks Joan. They tell me they have sent the issues to their IT engineer. Last night I was online and saw an email for someone interested in perhaps booking. I answered him from AirBnB on my laptop. We had three toos and fros. Then suddenly those messages popped through to my phone. I thought maybe it was getting resolved. But no more have, as yet...

All my notifications are on and have not been changed. I have checked that several times. Even tried to take out the phone number and reenter it but got a message it had been verified before so the same number could not be re-verified.

Hopefully seeing those three messages popped through last night, something is happening. Bizarre though that such a sophisticated company can take so long to sort something like this.

@Wanda70 

Good thinking on try to remove and re-enter the phone number! Alas, I am out of ideas too. Sounds like it's definitely an issue on their end. 

I wonder? Just out of curiosity, if you did add the app to your phone (just for purposes of seeing if you can get messages) would be worth a go?  You can always delete the app later since you said you don't use it. I have the app on my phone but prefer the computer as you do.

I haven't downloaded onto my phone yet.

I haven't had any more AirBnB messages to see if they are coming to my phone now that I've taken off the number, rebooted the laptop and added them back. Got a message from them saying they've checked and its not their side. Sounds unlikely.

I will I guess download the app on my phone. I don't suppose I have to enter more than basic details.

Will let you know if what I've done makes any difference.

Thank you 🙂 xx

To update, Joan...

I downloaded the AirBnB app on my Samsung cellphone. It all came up soon as I put in my phone number and it verified me and the contents synced. 

But!!!!  The AirBnB phone app is not sending alert messages to my sms either. Same as the AirBnB site on my MacBook, not sending SMS alerts to my cellphone phone.

So I am still not getting the sms alerts.

The only alerts still coming are to my email.

Very confusing seeing I got alerts until after my end-of-October booking. And subsequent to that, just 2 alerts out of many support alerts. And 3 alerts out of about six messages when someone connected to maybe book three nights ago — someone who was not properly verified so was not in instant book and who asked some weird questions then did not book when I mentioned it would be good to get properly verified.

And now AirBnB despite not resolving this, has closed my case. A couple of messages before closing me, I had a support message saying AirBnB were working on this issue which they said was impacting a lot of hosts since they updated software, or some such. I took a screen shot.

But now I am shut out of support with no help, as in no getting things working again, which to me is the equivalent of no help. I don't understand any of it. Thanks. Wanda Hennig

Thanks Joan

I was using my Macbook laptop and getting alerts via sms on my laptop email. Then the sms alerts stopped, as mentioned. Yesterday I downloaded the app on my Samsung. The alerts are not coming to my sms on the phone from there, either. And after turning everything off and on and off and on and rebooting on my laptop, that did not help either. So after five days of trying and connecting with AirBnb support and also via Twitter, it is still not happening.

Thank you for suggesting. Best, Wanda

Rats! @Wanda70 

This sounds like an issue that can have a widespread effect since Airbnb indicated its possibly a bug? Maybe @Paula or @Breanna can forward this to the appropriate Team at Airbnb?

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hey there @Joan2709 and thanks for the tag.

I flagged this over to the technical team this morning when I saw the updates on the post so hopefully they'll be able to look into this and get back to us soon!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you. And also @Breanna ...

So this afternoon I had a booking but there was no alert via sms. `i checked the email and saw it. Then three messages did come by sms after I replied to the guy and then after he tried to pay but has put a 22 hour pending as he is awaiting funds.

Then I had a second booking request and no alert has come through to my cellphone. I have replied to this guy.  Nothing at all via SMS to my cellphone ...

Kind of odd. Disturbing for me. Thanks for trying to help. Appreciated. Wanda xx

Annie1543
Level 2
California, United States

Hi Wanda,

I too have been going back and forth with support just to get NO support. Their messages can come via text, email or on the Airbnb site. They send messages saying I have another "thread" open and are closing this one. They never say what thread I am supposed to be watching! 

I am leaving Airbnb after working so hard to become a Super Host and keep it. Too bad.