Suddenly no bookings 2024

Answered!
Michele511
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

Suddenly no bookings 2024

I have 7 years of 5 star ratings in Santa Monica, California. Suddenly I had hardly anything in December ‘23, only one booking in January, one booking in March, then nothing at all. I’ve always been fully booked. I dont’ understand.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I would appreciate any insights!

1 Best Answer
Michele511
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

Hello Everyone.

Here are links to the best information I can find. Also, I’ve read the last 2 quarter earnings report, (the most recent one from last week.) You will find a link to the latest one below. I have also included a few other links I found helpful in putting together why we have had a slow spell.

I’ll say that my listings picked up after I’ve lowered the price $30 a night, which is a good amount, considering how expensive everything has gotten. Also I cut the cleaning fee to $50. 

Based on what I have read in both the earnings reports, along with reading a few other articles found on the internet, I think a lot of the slow down had to do with Airbnb purposely trying to lower rates as well as bring in more hosts. The “guest favorite” filter gives new hosts more opportunity to get listings faster as it regenerates every 24 hours, while superhost status is every month or so. (I forget how long exactly, but, it’s a longer qualifying period)

As well, I was told by a support ambassador that the order of listings sorts randomly over periods of time, regardless if you are a guest favorite or not. (Superhost does not give you any advantage in search options anymore.) This was done for the same reason; to give new hosts the opportunity to be featured.

I’ve noticed that at times my listing only appears as a blank dot on the map, especially when I put in a blanket search for Santa Monica. This is even if I put in the guest favorite filter. Rather unfortunate, and I would say, unfair. But that’s that and unless they are reading this and decide to do something about it, that’s the way they are doing it.

The earnings reports also talked about how they are trying to be more competitive with hotels price-wise. Overall rates on hotels have gone up around 10%, while Airbnb has gone down a bit. Airbnb considers this a win. And perhaps over the long run it will be for us, as well. It has always been an advantage here, because and equal quality hotel is a fortune.

Finally, it seems that Airbnb is buying small boutique hotels here and there in an effort to diversify its portfolio. In the earnings reports they allude to “acquiring” investment opportunities, but that’s it. However, an ambassador confirmed that they are doing this. They are waiting to announce it. If you google it, you will find articles.

I hope this has helped sort it out. If anyone else has any input, please speak up under this reply. It’s nice to have it all in one place. This is otherwise an extremely long thread.

Here are the links promised.

February 13, 2024 earnings call: 

https://airbnb2020ipo.q4web.com/files/doc_financials/2023/q4/Airbnb-Q4-23-Earnings-Call-Transcript.p...

re: boutique hotels: 

https://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-expanding-boutique-hotels-branded-buildings-2019-12

Random articles:

Airbnb vs hotels: Why are customers and hosts over Airbnb? - Vox

Are Your Airbnb Bookings Down? Statistics, Factors, & Tips

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/05/06/hotels-airbnb/

View Best Answer in original post

201 Replies 201
Jodi372
Level 4
Los Angeles, CA

@Michele511 same same . I have a house in Ojai. I used to be booked ALL THE TIME. Now it’s dwindled and I’m lucky if I have a weekend business. Zero bookings from 1/1-16 . If only there was a better option 🙏🏼

Wow. Have you heard from others if they are experiencing the same thing?

Pafo0
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

to all the hosts in this thread please read below.

I have been a super host on Airbnb for over 6 years now. I currently have my home listed on it but this year I noticed a drop in bookings that I could not explain. I then had a look at the map and noticed that about halve of the listings in my city are controlled by an external operator that is not even located in the region. 

The listings controlled by this company are kept at a very low price (being a company vs actual hosts this is easily done) so thy are basically controlling the market though the platform at the expenses of real hosts.

Is this what Airbnb has become? 

This is a betrayal of the airbnb original mission as there is no host here but basically other companies tacking advantage of the platform.

As a dedicated super host, I had put money, time and passion in welcoming travellers in my home, now I regret trusting this company. 

I have invested money in refurbishing my home to make it a profitable listing but now I will have to decide if it's time to leave this platform or not as now this  is not what I had signed up for when I joined it. 

This is so disturbing. But it also makes perfect senses given what is happening.

May I ask where your listing is and what is this company you are talking about? 

In my local research, many properties are empty this month. My larger home is #1 in search of similar listings and while my February looks pretty good and April almost fully booked, I put up several promotions,  cut fees, cut rates, added amenities,  etc. and now have 3 short bookings in January. Never been this slow. My second home is a cottage... completely empty through March right now. Slashed prices to the bone. Same strategies and nothings coming in. I'm 4 or 5 in search. Nothing on VRBO for either home. Just finally put them on Booking.com. Nothing yet. My cousin says she knows people putting groceries on a credit card and thinks it's the economy. 😥 Idk.

How is your experience bookings.com?

Does it still go through Airbnb?

Thanks, in advance!

Hey all. I have found out something interesting about all this. A friend of mine suggested I put my house on our local tourism. I'm in the state of Kentucky.  That's when I started learning all sorts of things. This is what they said to me. 

"According to state law, as of January  2023, Airbnb is supposed to be collection a 3% transient room tax and submitting it to the relevant county (or city) government. They have refused to do so and are currently in a lawsuit with the KY Travel Industry Association." I'm guessing they're not doing it with any state. However....if I want my house listed on the tourism site, I will have to send in the 3% if I want to be on the list. I would be as a bed and breakfast, not Airbnb. She said VRBO and Expedia are there because they do make these payments. And I would have to do it too. But here's something else wrong with this picture. Airbnb takes 3% off my payout. I guess they keep it for themselves. But they take it off my payout and then I would have to turn around and loose ANOTHER 3% for the tourism. That's 6% off the top! 

are we allowed to put our listings on Booking.com if we're in Airbnb? I would like to get my place more exposed. 

@Jo932  I don’t know. If you find out please share!

I sure will. I just started with Airbnb and all this is unnerving to me. 

@Jo932  My hope is we can get the attention of Airbnb itself, work together and make positive change. It’s been good to me overall. I like keeping it simple on one platform. 

You can defiantly list on booking.com. I got two good bookings from booking.com in 2023. However, it's pretty complicated to figure out at first.

Do you have to pay Booking.com anything? Here's what I told someone further down the thread. 

Hey all. I have found out something interesting about all this. A friend of mine suggested I put my house on our local tourism. I'm in the state of Kentucky.  That's when I started learning all sorts of things. This is what they said to me. 

"According to state law, as of January  2023, Airbnb is supposed to be collection a 3% transient room tax and submitting it to the relevant county (or city) government. They have refused to do so and are currently in a lawsuit with the KY Travel Industry Association." I'm guessing they're not doing it with any state. However....if I want my house listed on the tourism site, I will have to send in the 3% if I want to be on the list. I would be as a bed and breakfast, not Airbnb. She said VRBO and Expedia are there because they do make these payments. And I would have to do it too. But here's something else wrong with this picture. Airbnb takes 3% off my payout. I guess they keep it for themselves. But they take it off my payout and then I would have to turn around and loose ANOTHER 3% for the tourism. That's 6% off the top! 

@Jo932  Wow. I would be very surprised if they were not paying the cities what they received in Transient Taxes. It’s a strong accusation. Airbnb is a public company and is held accountable for their actions. It is something they would be sued for.

As for the amount of transient tax that cities charge, they also charge it to every hotel room. And if someone books over 30 days they are no longer taxed. 

Your city’s transient tax is very low. I am in Santa Monica and it is 15%.

@Rebecca is a community manager who is looking into our issue. Maybe you can find her response above. You can also ask her a question if you want.