Suntan on sheets

Gary753
Level 2
Auckland, NZ

Suntan on sheets

Hi everyone happy new year my wife and I are new at air bnb can anyone suggest what colour sheets to use . We have found white sheets with suntan lotion leaving an orange stain when washed love to here from you cheers 

3 Replies 3
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Gary753 

I think you will find a lot   of differing opinions re this.  There is not right or wrong answer - it's a matter of listening to other hosts ideas and opinons and taking on board what works for you best.

Personally I am a big fan of white sheets.  They suit my style of listing.  I find it pretty easy - mostly - to get stains out of white sheets.   I had suntan lotion stains myself just a few days ago.  I sprayed with stain remover soaked in a bucket for a while, then washed per normal - no trace of the stain. ( i find Sard in a bottle amazing, but I also use Exit in a bottle, and I use Sard or Napisan powder to soak  - I'll attach pics)

What I do highly recommend, whatever sheets you end up going for, is to have multiple sets. I try to have at LEAST 3 per bed.   One in the wash - one to go on the bed,   and a spare  - you know - you're making the bed, the guest is due - you notice a stain that you didn't see when you folded, or the iron spurts dirty water just as ironing the foldback....

A lot of hosts feel very strongly that patterned sheets are the way to go as they help to camouflage.

I find really good quality sheets in TK Maxx - I think they have a store in Auckland now. 

For the record I  have white towels  and black towels towels.I vary according to the guest. At the moment I have a party of 3 senior type guests. They get the really good bedsheets and the white Sheridan towels.  Teh group before just wanted to live at the beach. They get the black bath towels and the basic bed linen.

I rarely provide face washers . They were either not used or COVERED in make up and the amount of effort to get the stains out was not worth it. A lot of US hosts use black face washers - I have never seen any for sale at a reasonable price, so  I providesard.jpgexit.jpg facial wipes.  And finally black tea towels have been my saviour.   I think nearly every guest I have ever hosted has had a penchant for curry  - tumeric stains are IMPOSSIBLE.

Hope this helps.   

No idea why the pics ended up in the middle of the text, but anyway I think you can still read. 

Cheers

Lynell0
Level 4
Murtoa, Australia

Hi @Rowena29

Where do you get Exit?  I've never seen it before.  I use Sards and Napisan which work well, but some times you need that extra boost.

@Gary753 I don't think it readly matters what color your sheets are.  I use all different colors to match the quilt covers, and they still stain.  I mine seem to look like oily stain, like they wrapped  their fish n chips in them. 

Cheers

@Lynell0 Exit pops up in all sorts of places.    Harris Scarfe, Spotlight, Hardware stores ( independent Mitre 10's often have it), Dollar discount stores.     It also comes in a little yellow block of "soap" which is easier to find. I don't care for this as much as a yellow mark is often left behind unless you really scrub and rinse by hand, but it is a good stain remover too.