Suspect inquire

Katheryn16
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Suspect inquire

Good afternoon everyone! I’m a new host, just one month hosting and I’m getting a few random requests for booking, I’ll paste one of the messages to see if you guys can help me because I don’t know what to do. Tell me what you think please. 

first message:

Hi,

My name is Sammi. I am working with the show Bridezillas that will be filming in the Kissimmee, FL area August 12th. We are looking for an Airbnb that would allow us to film for the 2 days that we are renting the property. We are a small crew of about 10 people. So a small footprint compared to most productions. Bridezillas is in it's 14th season and will be on WeTV this year.

Would you consider allowing filming at your property? I can hop on the phone to discuss if easier as well!

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing from you!

I responded her saying my maximum capacity is for 8 people that why I cancel the request.
Then she respond again:

If we only plan on being there during the day to film, no overnight stay, would that maximum people be at all flexible?

i don’t know but, it seems suspicious for me

what do you think ? 

7 Replies 7
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Katheryn16  You have a lovely space and I can see why they would want to film there.  I don't think it's suspect and it's not an uncommon request.  Just think you could tout it in your descrption after the fact as Bridezilla filming location 😃

Ther are ways to vet Sammi and the production company.  I would not be down for adult filming but this sounds like fun. 

Karen

Thank you very much for your answer @Karen114 ! On the one hand, it sounds tempting to me, although I can say that I don't know that show or what it's about. but on the other hand it scares me because I'm just starting out. I've only been a host for a month and it seems to me that new hosts are good targets for people with bad intentions. I think I'll say no again. Maybe in the future I will regret it but it scares me right now. Again, thank you very much

@Katheryn16 

When something  sounds too good too be true you arre right probably isn't.

A production company for  a show Bridezilla has insurance for their employees for the brides in the show.  Their business insurance is not going to provide coverage at a property that is not represented as meeting commercial requirements   of safety. privacy requirentes, and  insurance requirements.  Someone trips on your stairs  and breaks a finger  someone enters your bathroom when someone is in it?   Small  things can  happen  but you end up with a nightmare

Thank you for your comment @Marie8425 . you're right. I wouldn't risk something like that, especially without experience. I definitely won't accept it. I also don't like the idea of ​​adult movies being filmed on my property, and I don't know if what they tell me about the show is true.

@Katheryn16 

Temptation!

For me, that would be a big "no thanks" and my property is an ideal film location. 

Film crews are a big deal. What does your insurance agent say? Your lawyer? Have you consulted the local Film Commission? 

What sort of contract/protection does this company provide? Film Locations get paid huge money, and massive protection by contract, with massive insurance for you and your place. 

How about parking, toilets, makeup, dressing, showers, food, noise, all that heavy equipment, cables, and utility use? injury potential? Film folks can easily do a lot of damage to home, garden, plumbing. Particularly those which are looking to cut corners as this one seems to be. There are industry standards!

Definitely get some professional opinions on this, and do not let this person pressure you into hasty decisions. 

Do please let us all know your findings and decision. 

Best wishes from us to you!

Thank you very much for your response @Kitty-and-Creek0 , as I said, I am new in this business and I am sure to say that I still do not know even 10% of everything that comes with being a host. That's why I joined this community to learn and receive advice from people who know and have experience. thank you so much!!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Katheryn16 , Welcome to the Community Center and thanks so much for sharing this interesting instance with us here. You've received some amazing advice from experienced members. How did you eventually deal with this request?

Kitty,Karen and Marie have raised fair points. Did you get a chance to discuss with the guest who sent the message? What have been your findings?

We remain curious of how you dealt with it! 😉

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines