Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

The guest's profile picture shows a terrorist, but Airbnb doesn't care.

Answered!
Christoph3178
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

The guest's profile picture shows a terrorist, but Airbnb doesn't care.

Hi, we have a booking from a guest with a profile picture that shows a guy with a Molotov cocktail in his hand, a mob sitting and standing on a car in the background in a riot scenario.

Furthermore, the surname is faked (three consonants but no vowel, I doubt anyone has such a name) and only one review from a host that no longer exists.

Sure, the profile picture is probably just some kind of poor joke. But I don't like Molotov cocktails, and I don't like people throwing Molotov cocktails. And I don't like people who think it is funny to have a picture of such a person as a profile picture. It glorifies violence, which is against my morals, and I would expect it is also against Airbnb's morals.

However, we reported the profile, but Airbnb told us that we could cancel the booking, but we will be penalised for it.

I am flabbergasted!

It was the first time we contacted Airbnb's customer support; I expected them to be professional.

Why do I need to explain that I don't want to give the keys to my home to someone who presents himself as a terrorist? Why do I need to explain that I don't like violence, murderer, terrorists and people glorifying these things?

I wonder if other hosts also have similar disappointing experiences with Airbnb customer support.

Top Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you ticked the option on your listing  that you only accept bookings from guests with clear photo's of themselves @Christoph3178 

if so, call Airbnb back and quote their policy for this that says you can cancel penalty free if they don't provide one.

I would be uncomfortable in your situation too, 

View Top Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you ticked the option on your listing  that you only accept bookings from guests with clear photo's of themselves @Christoph3178 

if so, call Airbnb back and quote their policy for this that says you can cancel penalty free if they don't provide one.

I would be uncomfortable in your situation too, 

Thanks @Helen3! That's a great tip. Yes, we have ticked that option.
Nevertheless, I don't get why the customer support believes it is totally ok to have someone at your home with a fake surname and a profile picture like that.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

As you have this option ticked call CS back and insist they cancel penalty free quoting the policy re guest photos @Christoph3178 

@Christoph3178 the name may not be false . Ring the guests phone number and ascertain for yourself if he is some type of terrorist or just a 'joker' . If you had marked no avatars , no obscured faces , no sunglasses etcetera then I do not think this would have happened. Ask for ID and tell the guest that you would like a 'real life ,as in now , selfie sent via messaging ' or they risk cancellation... H