The guests asked Airbnb to delete their review on our place

Bo24
Level 4
Copenhagen, Denmark

The guests asked Airbnb to delete their review on our place

Hello everyone, 

As airbnb host, we just had this strange incident:

Our guests left us a really good review with comments and 5 star ratings and we reviewed them too. But several days after, I got this email from a case manager saying that she was requested by the guests to remove the review from my account becasue the guest thought the reviews are private and not public. The case manager deleted the review and then let me know.

I understand the guests are not aware that the review is public to everyone, but can the case manager really just go ahead and delete the review even the review is fully complied with the content policy? 

Airbnb hosts are evaulated and measured by the reviews and we constantly try to get guests to review us after their stay, so we can keep up with the requirement,  but the case manager just deleted the review and also the rating, that guests gave us. 

Do any of you have experince in how to handle this?

Cheers, 

Bo

85 Replies 85
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Sarah977 @Ute42 @Bo24  I think any system that doesn't anticipate it's users will at some point "fat finger" a review... is horribly flawed.  Whether it's a mis-speak, a mis-type, or just plain incompetence... all systems should allow for a basic level of error correction.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Ah! - Maybe I should be less quick to review my guests... I have up to 2 days to edit my reviews when I write first... until they do theirs. But, if they write first, I have no opportunity to edit, if it's the same for guests then only the first person to review can edit.... - Inconsistant! Even 1 minute before the review goes through would give people time to edit.

Bo24
Level 4
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Sarah977 @Ben551 @Obinna0 @Ute42 @Alon1 @Lawrene0 

Thank you for all your responses, guys. Sorry I don't know how to @ more people here. 

I have  some update. 

As I wrote yesterday in one reply, I asked Airbnb to remove my review on another guest due to ''Personal reasons'' (just to verify the practice) and airbnb said no. I then refer to the reply I got for this case ''If the review author contacted us and requested to remove the review, we need to remove it as per request.''  Now they have removed my review on that guest with the following reply.  So if anyone want to delete a review you wrote, go ahead and give it a try - request Airbnb to remove it because obviously you are entitled to do so now. 

Airbnb Support
5:51 AM
Hi Bo, 

I trust this message finds you well. 

After further reviews of our policies and guidelines, we have therefore confirmed that we can remove a review or response if the author of it contacts Airbnb to request a removal.

As of this correspondence it has been taken down as such, no further action is needed on both of your ends. 

Thank you for taking hosting to another level. Your Super host status speaks volume not just for who you are but how you are as a host in our community. 

Warm regards,

@Bo24 @Ben551 @Sarah977 @Obinna0 @Ute42 further confirmation that airbnb cs is down the rabbit hole.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bo24  way to go on being persistent and making them follow through consistently. You've set a precedent here that I've no doubt other hosts will be using if needed.

I love the "After further reviews of our policies and guidelines, we have therefore confirmed that we can remove a review or response if the author of it contacts Airbnb to request a removal."

That should really read "After being called out on our pandering to guests while denying hosts the same level of accomodation, and having our noses rubbed in a statement given by our CS employee, we guess we'll have to let this one go."

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Bo24thanks so much for the update!  And may I had... wooooah we're in the twilight zone now...

Shirlee0
Level 2
Lascassas, TN

I a Superhost with nearly 700 reviews, I am interested to hear about this. The URL between Airbnb and VRBO had a glitch and it allowed several double bookings for two of my homes. When I found these, I called and canceled the Airbnb guests that were double booked a day or more before their arrival, because it was the Airbnb URL that failed. Airbnb accidentally canceled one of the guests who was less than an hour from arrival at a different listing Ithat WAS NOT DOUBLE booked. She left a furious review and I called Airbnb and asked to have it removed and they have refused. They would not let me listen to the recording of the calls either. Now to learn that they allowed your review to be canceled makes me even more upset. A manager has not called me back and no one has followed up, except a text that says they will not let me listen to their recording of my call directing the cancellations. I really like the Airbnb family, but the policies around the cancellation of reviews is very messy. Certainly not to the standard required to gain the "Super" status at Airbnb. I would strongly suggest that you look inward, Airbnb. We are doing our best to make you famous. Now you need to do your part.

Linda1296
Level 2
Edithvale, Australia

Couldn't they just leave the review and say 'guest requested privacy' so profile hidden or something similar?  It seems a bit silly you have lost a good review for no particular reason.  😞 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Bo24 

Thank You for the detailed explanation of what exactely happened in Your case.

This is very helpful for all of us.

Mark1641
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I had 128 reviews when I went to bed last night, and this morning now have 127.  How do reviews just go away?  I'm just curious as I thought it was narly impossible for a review to be removed?  This is now the second time I've posted this question and keep getting error messages that it cannot be sent.  Here goes again!  

@Mark1641 The author of a review has the right to request it be removed. If you ask for removal of a review that someone else has written, that’s a different story. Airbnb will only consider removal of the latter if it violates the review policy.