This really Bugs me!!!

Answered!
Anne9417
Level 2
Charlevoix, MI

This really Bugs me!!!

I have a guest from out of state who had 3, 5 star reviews. She wasn’t at the cabin 15 minutes, when she called to tell me that she found not just a bug, but a cockroach. I went over right away and asked to see the bug. It was on the bathroom counter , dead, and with no signs of being squished. No guts.  We inspected the cabin and there were no other bugs! I offered to spray bug spray, and she declined and asked for a refund for 8 days for one bug. I told her I would immediately call Airbnb. That was Monday. I texted the guest Monday evening to let her know that we had sprayed and there were no bugs and they were welcome to come back.  Then, they were suddenly allergic to bug spray and bug phobic. My cabin is advertised as Go Off Grid, surrounded by 120 of forest?????   
I offered to refund the guest for 4 days if she canceled those days on her reservation, since she wasn’t coming back. I could have gotten another reservation, as it’s a big festival in our town this weekend that most hosts double their fees for!  When my support person offered this refund, she claimed she would have to check her bank statement and get back to him. Not surprisingly, they could no longer get in touch with her!  We bug boned on Monday night and have not found a single bug resembling the cockroach that she claims to have found. I’ve found a few dead ants but this log cabin is over 100 years old!
I am now waiting to hear back from Airbnb to see what they have decided to do about this!  FRUSTRATED, doesn’t even come close, but this is my first post her and I want to keep it clean!😁😩🤬

~Annie~✌️

1 Best Answer

Hi Annie!

Oh my...these guest situations are out of hand!  I have heard of guests bringing dead bugs with them. Then claiming bugs for a refund, as they found another airbnb in the area less expensive, so come up with a way to ask Airbnb to cancel the stay and give a refund so they can book the other property penalty-free! 🙄 😱. One host said she took a picture of a said "bug." Then calmly informed the guest that this particular insect is NOT native and the only way it would appear is if someone brought it there 🤣

If roaches are native to your area...not sure there is much you can do accept wait on Airbnb to decide what they will do. One thing I might suggest is to set expections for guests staying at your rural property. Put a "Wildlife & Insect" Disclaimer in your House Rules ("no refunds for the occasional insect sighting. This is an off-grid cabin in a rural area", or something similar. Then add something through-out your listing in your House Manual, Other Things to Note, etc. I have seen these from other hosts. Basically you say:

Wildlife & Insects

This is a off-grid, rural cabin surrounded by forest. It is a native habitat for all manner of wildlife and insects. We conduct regular pest control and inspections, but can't guarantee you won't see an insect or two inside (we try to keep them out, but they're persistent "buggers" 😊

Let us know how it goes!

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi Annie!

Oh my...these guest situations are out of hand!  I have heard of guests bringing dead bugs with them. Then claiming bugs for a refund, as they found another airbnb in the area less expensive, so come up with a way to ask Airbnb to cancel the stay and give a refund so they can book the other property penalty-free! 🙄 😱. One host said she took a picture of a said "bug." Then calmly informed the guest that this particular insect is NOT native and the only way it would appear is if someone brought it there 🤣

If roaches are native to your area...not sure there is much you can do accept wait on Airbnb to decide what they will do. One thing I might suggest is to set expections for guests staying at your rural property. Put a "Wildlife & Insect" Disclaimer in your House Rules ("no refunds for the occasional insect sighting. This is an off-grid cabin in a rural area", or something similar. Then add something through-out your listing in your House Manual, Other Things to Note, etc. I have seen these from other hosts. Basically you say:

Wildlife & Insects

This is a off-grid, rural cabin surrounded by forest. It is a native habitat for all manner of wildlife and insects. We conduct regular pest control and inspections, but can't guarantee you won't see an insect or two inside (we try to keep them out, but they're persistent "buggers" 😊

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you, Joan, for that Most Excellent advice!  I’m going to add that today!  Airbnb paid me in full on this reservation. I’m super happy with their Superhost support team!  I So appreciate your note!✌️

~Annie~

@Anne9417 Yessss!!!! Score one for the home team!!! 👍

Thanks for letting us know....we share in your "victory"!

Thanks again, Joan!✌️

For Sure!🤗