Tip of the Week 13: Asking guests to tidy up

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Tip of the Week 13: Asking guests to tidy up

For the lucky 13th in the Tip of the Week series, I thought I would share this tip on asking guests to tidy up before they leave.

This was shared by @Sheila646  on a topic where Hosts discussed whether or not guests should pick up before they check out. 

We ask our guests to tidy up after themselves:

1. Put the dishes in the sink or dishwasher.
  2. Gather their litter in the trash cans. 
  3. Gather the towels in the laundry room.
  4. Leave their linens on the beds, so we can sort them by size and pretreat any stains.

These simple steps ensure it's easy to tell what guests have used and make expectations crystal clear.

On this thread, we invite you to share what you ask your guests to do before they check out. So go ahead, and tell us everything about your tips and tricks on how to clearly communicate this! 

We’re excited to hear and learn from you all. Let's gather the best tips on communicating cleaning expectations to guests, and don’t forget to give a thumbs up👍 to the best tips shared. 😊

👉 TOTW series

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

29 Replies 29
Izzie135
Level 1
San Antonio, TX

Housekeeping is expected and in my listing and booklet.  Housekeeping and check out cleaning are separate things.  I don't do one night bookings. Minimum 3 days - over 30

Craig780
Level 2
North Charleston, SC

Yes to common courtesies and things that make the cleaners' lives EASIER, not doing the work for them.

Debbie1110
Level 1
Erin, Canada

Hi Breanna.

No, I don’t ask them to tidy up.  I hope they would do that out of a courtesy “thing”.  
I tell them where to leave wet towels and to communicate with me.  
The majority of my guests do clean up after themselves.  
Debbie

Tree Top Oasis

We only rent a bedroom & bath. We ask that towels be left on the bathroom floor and do not make the bed. Works nicely fo me. 

Dawn-Ebony0
Level 2
Kingston, Jamaica

I Don’t ask, most of my guest are quite experienced and as such they usually tidy up

Лідія0
Level 1
Lviv, Ukraine

I do not ask, I do it by myself.

Steven1442
Level 1
Milton, MA

No , I do not ask them to do anything my cleaners take care of everything . Most people treat your property well, I ask they drop keys and be out by11.00am.

Cathy1041
Level 2
Sioux Falls, SD

Yes. We ask them to strip the sheets off the beds they used because some people make the beds and then we can’t tell which ones were used.  We ask them to take out the trash because the cleaner can’t always get there the same day, especially in winter weather. We asked them to put their dirty dishes in the dishwasher and start it.

I don't ask my guests to clean. I live on the property and go in and take care of anything that requires immediate attention and do an inspection upon every check out. My guests are not here to clean, nor do I charge a cleaning fee.

Joe3279
Level 1
Pascoe Vale South, Australia

We ask our guests, ( we have a 4 bedroom / 2 storey beach house)
- to return furniture if they've moved it to where it was originally ?
- towels in the laundry
- all household rubbish into the bins outside
- check AC units and Lights are off
- lockup and leave the keys where you found them.

left over food in the fridge - we throw out / or feed the birds (magpies and cockatoos) / ducks / kangaroos (depending on the type of food ... ) 

Denice32
Level 1
Cedar City, UT

I have had a lot of guests concerned about doing housekeeping before they leave a residence including laundry, vacuuming, taking out garbage and other household chores. 
I want my guests to be a tidy person, and I expect them to be respectful in cleanliness, but I charge a cleaning fee and do not put cleaning on my guests.

This is their vacation and I want them to enjoy their stay. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

We ask our guests to do zero, 95% of them leave the place super organized and bathroom/kitchen spotless.

We ask our guests to:

Leave the beds unmade.

Empty the fridge.

Place used towels in the shower

Take the trash to thr outside can

Lock the door

we do the same 

Enxhi2
Level 1
Tirana, Albania

I do not actually. I just ask them to leave the properties in good condition