To Greet or Not To Greet?

To Greet or Not To Greet?

Yes, that is the question. We have a private room in our home situation. We were lax about greeting guests. If we were here, great. If not, we let them check themselves in and gave some directions, and maybe would bump into them during their stay.

Then, we stayed in a private room in a house when traveling where the host(s) did not greet us and seemed to be hiding the whole time. We thought that was super weird, so then we decided to try to at least greet our guests upon arrival, and went out of our way to make sure one of us was home. We then found that some folks seemed put off by it. Those folks were always the ones we had issues with, too, like ignorning house rules or being a third party booking (always parents of an AirBnBer), so we knew we had to greet everyone now, right?

Then, we had friends tell us they never get greeted, even at home shares, and sometimes never see/meet the host, and were totally okay with it - preferred it - especially since they didn't have to be there at a specific time to check in.

So, home-share folks, do you greet your guests? Whether you do or don't, how is that going for you?

50 Replies 50
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

Homeshare here. We greet every guest for a few reasons: I would be uncomfortable with someone being in my house that I haven't spoken to and gotten a vibe from and I think people treat your home better if they have met you. We have stayed at about a dozen homeshares, everyone has greeted us with at least a quick hello. But each situation is different, you are going to have to work out whats best for you.

Liga2
Level 5
Riga, Latvia

Thank you for reminding how important it is to greet guests in person 🙂 Personally I always try to warm welcome each of my wonderful guests, but lately I have been working too much so I have been asking my best friend to help me out sometimes. I have to say honestly most of my guests have been happy to meet me and very often they write something sweet in my guests book or Airbnb private feedback. I wish you many amazing Airbnb guests in future and you are always warmly welcome to visit wonderful Riga 🙂

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Greetings, @Todd-and-Reese0. I think greeting diminishes the worry factor. As both guest and host, I see no difference in communication or ratings when greeted or ungreeted, but I tend to worry more when I haven't met my guest or host. Often unfounded, of course, and only slight worry at that, but face-to-face is better than a dozen "verifications." 

Also, the happy-ending bad-guest stories in the forum tend to begin with "when I greeted him/her, I noticed..." and end with a vigilant host taking a stand. 

Being right on board with the original spirit of Airbnb that had smiling people opening doors to other smiling people in the masthead, I understand and enjoy both types of hosting, but I like the greetings. They are working here.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Good question! There’s definitely a balance to find here.

When I started I made a point of meeting guests (who stay in the upstairs of my home). But it was making me super frustrated for people to show up 4-5 hours after they said they would, especially when I’d rearranged my schedule or declined plans in order to meet them. I was experiencing a lot of host burn out because of this and did the same asking around.

I ran into the “never met the host” responses from lots of friends who travel on Airbnb. So I tried that, but it didn’t feel as personal – I actually joked that it was like being the prostitute that wasn’t given the dignity of being looked in the eye. I want to shake the hand of the person who is sleeping in my beds! And it lost something in feeling so transactional – I’m not a faceless hotel, dammit 😉

My balance came in letting people arrive whenever they like, but I make a point of catching up with them when we’re both home (almost always the day of check-in). This gives me a chance to make sure they’re happy with everything and it still keeps the “human” element without either of us dictating the other’s schedule.

Also, I did notice the same thing with problematic guests being reluctant to meet, or acting stand-offish. It doesn’t matter whether I meet them at arrival, or catch up with them later – same bad vibe. I do hope they self-select off the platform, because I don’t think they belong in people’s homes if they can’t stomach 5 minutes of greeting their host graciously.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Greeting at the door definitely. Helps break the ice in most cases. But there are some strange guests who will never be satisfied and will always find issues, so greeting is not a guarantee of a good review.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I try to greet all of my guests, I mention that in my listing, and I ask the guests to keep me updated on arrival times so I can be there to greet them. I find that the guests I don't greet are more likely to break the rules or leave a lesser review. Besides that, even though the space I rent is separated from the rest of my house, it puts me on edge to hear someone bumping around without having been introduced. I offer hints to make their stay easier, help carry luggage, and point out the snacks. I've never had guests act surprised by this and most seem to appreciate it. 

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Todd-and-Reese0 We usually try to greet the guests when they arrive, but sometimes aren’t able to. I try to make it a point to “bump into” our guests at least once during their stay. If I don’t meet them at check in, I always send them a message the next morning welcoming them and asking if there’s anything they need after their first night. 

@Todd-and-Reese0 ... I usually find that guests I actually meet in person leave much better reviews, as well. We had one couple stay while we were out of town - so they got the private room rate, but access to the whole house without us there (win for them I thought). But they ended up being my most critical review! 

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

Absolutely always greet in person.  Don't you want to see who is sharing your house in person?  Also this is the time to give them tour/instructions about how things work and/or if there are parts of your house that are off limits this is the time to express that as well.

Peggy-And-Mike0
Level 10
Georgia, United States

We have a "private room" in our home.  We have always greeted our guests and find that they've mentioned it in the reviews in a positive way.  I think because we have 90% or more first-time airbnb guests, they are also uncertain about what to expect so having someone explain it helps alleviate any concerns they might have of "how does this work?" My husband is usually the one who does the welcoming, and he goes outside so they can see him waving down the road.  He's so laidback, open, that they feel good about us, and he does a great job showing them around....making them feel welcomed.   

We do our very best to greet all our guests in the apartment attached to our home. We do have a keypad entrance so in the event we are not able to be here a guest can enter the apartment. When that happens I text them when I get home and go right over to welcome them. Our main priority is to greet first time Airbnbers.  We need to make sure they feel comfortable and answer all their questions and concerns. As guests we have had both and we prefer to be greeted by the host.

Michelle13
Level 8
New York, NY

I greet all my guests since self check-in isn't feasible at my building and the apartment layout is quirky/confusing. I also want to see who is in my home.

The number one thing mentioned in reviews is that I'm a very friendly and accommodating host. I credit this to the in person check-in and home tour since I really only see my guests then and maybe once during the stay. I also send a friendly "I hope all is well!" message with check out instructions near the end of the stay.

I think a quick 5 min walk through helps set boundaries, makes both of us feel less like strangers, and also makes my house feel bigger. 

I'll be honest, as a guest I end up searching through host homes a lot more when not met in person or given a quick walk through. Not to snoop but because if I can't find something I'm more likely to think I just can't find it vs. the host doesn't have a bottle opener/hand soap/whatever I'm looking for.

Hi, Todd & Reese. 

Our set-up is rather different from yours in that we live on a smallish island where guests arrive by ferry or plane. Although we don't live at our villa  but nearby, it's so much easier, and we feel, friendlier also convenient for everyone concerned if we greet them in the port/airport, guide them (by taxi or their hire car (s) to the property. We can point out stores, banks, good tavernas, beaches etc  and then spend 10 minutes explaining the layout of the 4 double bedrooms, bathrooms, garden, sea pool below the house & bbq area which requires info and on how things work. 

Our guests have expressed their appreciation of all this , especially if it's their first time in Greece or have young children. It seems to lead to benefits all round. Then we leave them alone except for maybe a call every other day or to water the garden. 

Interesting chats ensue & further info from us about the island, if needed.

It's worked well so far and gives each of us the chance to check the other out!

Vassilis & Ann.

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0 Your place is gorgeous! I just had to peek after hearing what a lovely welcome you give your guests. Now I want to visit!