Trump’s ban on European visitors (except Brits)

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Trump’s ban on European visitors (except Brits)

This was/wasn’t a surprising headline to wake up to. I’ve got a handful of bookings from Americans over the coming weeks and I’m now waiting to see just how quick they’ll be cancelling. 

Bookings on both sides of the Atlantic are going to presumably be decimated. Hotel trade too.

Extraordinary times.

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

And with Boris chairing a COBRA meeting today I suspect we will get a whole tranche of additional measures in the UK as well.

Its going to get very bad financially for a lot of people I am afraid

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Gordon0   @Mike-And-Jane0     I still have a UK trip pending.   I'm  afraid I'm going to have to cancel, unwillingly, if it's going to put family and friends at risk. The fact is the US does not seem to be getting test kits out fast enough to understand the true scope of things here. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Interested. Why do you feel UK visitors would in particular put your friends and family at risk @Michelle53 

@Helen3   Sorry if I wasn't clear.    It's not visitors from the UK putting friends and family at risk. It's me travelling to the UK from the US, in the absence of adequate testing in the US, that might put my UK friends and family over there at risk.  I was planning to visit Liverpool, Oxford, and London, and meet up with people who are older, or have medical conditions which might put them at higher risk.    To be honest, also, I can't afford to be stuck in a 14-day self-quarantine, either, if things worsen while I am travelling. 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Gordon0 

Ireland exempt too - but we're practically on lockdown from 6pm this evening anyway... all schools, colleges, childcare facilities closed until 29th March, people asked to work from home where at all possible, mass gatherings banned etc 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Michelle53 

Depending on the travel dates I would hang fire and not cancel it yet. All the measures being taken are only aiming to delay/smooth the surge in cases so that hospitals are not overwhelmed. My understanding is that the total number of cases will not be affected by the measures being taken and the only solution bar a vaccine (2021) will be herd immunity once enough of us catch and survive the virus.

Also do remember that we have one of the best health services in the World in the UK!

@Mike-And-Jane0  I'm waiting. I still have a few weeks to decide. I have to watch the airline cancellation policy, though. I bought CFAR insurance, but it might be easier to get the refund from the airline, than the insurance, at this point. My Airbnb host (who I have been in contact with) is flexible on cancellation, but I have train and event tickets.  If my events are cancelled, that would change the math.   Since small businesses are going to take the financial hit for most of this, and my Airbnb supplemental income is flattening, it's probably better for me to be saving my money for day to day expenses than taking a holiday. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I’ve had three cancellations today, including one for tonight (Spanish couple). It’s going to be a rough ride.