Unapproved additional guests

Answered!

Unapproved additional guests

Hi, 

I state specifically in my listing that it is for two, yet unapproved guests continue to show up.

The latest one is for a bride and her matron of honor. 

4 people showed up tonight.

How do I state this more emphatically in my listing?

I'm not going to say anything to the bride because it is her wedding weekend, but how can I stop this from happening in the future?

Our cottage is specifically designed for two and only two. 

How do i get this across in the listing?

It's not about asking for additional money, it's the wear and tear.

Thanks for your advice.  cheri 

1 Best Answer

@Cheri336 

In addition to @Karen114  advice, be sure you have stated in your house rules the fee/fine for unregistered guests (we use $150). This way, you can at least use the resolution center to charge them for the unregistered guests. We use something like this:

• "Registered Guests Only: To keep everything in order, only registered guests are allowed. unregistered guests incur $150 fee per guest/night."

We also send a message after booking that mentions only registered guests are permitted and there is a $150 fee per unregistered guest/night. We also ask that they check with us first before inviting visitors to the property. Some hosts have insurance that limits the number of persons on the property and/or local regulations that limit occupancy (fire safety).

That said, it's probably best to wait until they write their review before sending the charge, as most likely they will leave a bad one if you give a heads up you will be charging them for the unregistered guests. They can craft a review making false statements not related to the extra guest issue and Airbnb will not remove it as retaliatory. Some hosts use the extra guest fee section in Fees on the calendar that allows you to also charge the fee. This section is usually reserved for listings that charge a fee for guests over a certain number, but can be used for this purpose as well. 

Joan2709_0-1714225063486.png

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Cheri336  This certainly is frustrating.  In my listing description I do mention bedroom count and sleeps 4. Some guests don't care and will attempt to sleep on the couch or bring their own blow up bed.  

What I also do and have always done is use a rental agreement that they sign that once again goes over this and what happens if they over occupy. 

Karen

Thank you Karen.

They checked in late at night, which also makes things a challenge.

I'm alway learning. Unfortunately people have the thought that if they are paying for it, they can do whatever they want. 

thanks again for the advice. 

Cheri 

@Cheri336 

In addition to @Karen114  advice, be sure you have stated in your house rules the fee/fine for unregistered guests (we use $150). This way, you can at least use the resolution center to charge them for the unregistered guests. We use something like this:

• "Registered Guests Only: To keep everything in order, only registered guests are allowed. unregistered guests incur $150 fee per guest/night."

We also send a message after booking that mentions only registered guests are permitted and there is a $150 fee per unregistered guest/night. We also ask that they check with us first before inviting visitors to the property. Some hosts have insurance that limits the number of persons on the property and/or local regulations that limit occupancy (fire safety).

That said, it's probably best to wait until they write their review before sending the charge, as most likely they will leave a bad one if you give a heads up you will be charging them for the unregistered guests. They can craft a review making false statements not related to the extra guest issue and Airbnb will not remove it as retaliatory. Some hosts use the extra guest fee section in Fees on the calendar that allows you to also charge the fee. This section is usually reserved for listings that charge a fee for guests over a certain number, but can be used for this purpose as well. 

Joan2709_0-1714225063486.png

Thank you so much Joan for the excellent advice. 

This relieves so much pressure to know that I am proactive in these situations. 

You're so kind to take the time to answer my question. 

Kind regards, Cheri