Unexplainable 4 star review?

Answered!
Jess4223
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Unexplainable 4 star review?

I'm baffled.  I recently had a guest stay in my house, who has just left me a review.  I'm a bit upset, if I'm honest.  I try not to take things to heart, but I've been an Airbnb host and guest multiple times and always go the extra mile to either make guests feel welcome, or to leave their house spotless.  As a result, I've only ever received 5 star reviews. 

Anyway, this guest just wrote a review with no sign of there being any problems - he said the house was lovely, in a great location.  Yet he marked me 4 star for ALL aspects of the stay, with no explanation on any of them. 

During his stay, there were no issues, check in was simple as possible via my key box, he said everything was great and he had a great stay.  During his stay, my communication was exemplary - I responded to his messages very quickly, I messaged him a few times to check everything was ok / wishing him a lovely stay etc., I specifically told him not to hesitate to contact if he needed anything.  So I'm baffled why my communication was 4 star?  What more could I have done?! 

What I'm most upset about is the 4 star for check-in.   

The guest asked for a very early check-in - from 9am instead of 3pm.  Me being nice, I rearranged my cleaner's day to accommodate the guest.  My cleaner kindly agreed to come in the day before instead of the day of, so that the guest could check in 6 hours early.  In the end he didn't even check in till the evening, but still - I went the extra mile to ensure he had the option.  Check in itself is beyond simple - there's a key box for which he had the code, and therefore the freedom to arrive whenever.

I also got 4 stars for cleanliness, location and value... Equally baffling.  I have a brilliant and lovely cleaner, who had just been through the whole house (maybe she missed something, but the guest did not mention).   And re. vale - for 4/5 guests I think it's about right; it's a very unusual, big and quirky house that's probably near-on half the price of opting for 2 hotel rooms.

I put out numerous treats for my guests - wine, fancy teas in a cute tin for them to keep, free Espresso coffee capsules, nice bathroom products, write little notes, I even give them use of my local family attractions discount membership.  Most people appreciate all the extra touches.  I guess this time not so much - although I just wish I knew why. 

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rosita55 @Jess4223  @Anonymous  @Anika13 

This used to worry me, about every 25 guests one will give me a wonderful review that comes with 4 stars overall and 4 in every category. My thoughts were.....if I am that good why am I not worth 5 stars?

But over the years I have come to realise that the Airbnb review system is a punishment system, not a reward system! There is no reward category for an Airbnb review! 5 stars is a default review rating and means that the stay met the guests expectations.....a 4 star means that, while great in every way, nothing to fault, it was not perfect and certain aspects need to be mythically improved.

Don't stress about it, virtually all Airbnb users, be they hosts or guests, know how c*cked  up the review system is and take far more notice of the actual written review than any star rating that may be attached to it!

Cheers........Rob

View Best Answer in original post

54 Replies 54
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

I had one couple who left me 4* for accuracy, their feedback being "The listing was very detailed and accurate, but only if you read it."

@Huma0  The mind boggles at this logic!

Ekra2
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

Hello 

just take as a waking call. People are different,  this guest is one of them.

remember the cheap guest is more demanding. always accommodate only one or  two hour earlier check in.

Ekra 

Anika13
Level 2
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

@Jess4223 I have had the same experience recently.  The guest never indicated they had any issues during their stay.  I went out of my way in some instances  for them and apparently it was not deserving of a 5*.  Guests perceptions vary and their responses are sometimes baffling.   I've learned that I cannot always get 5* but I won't accept any less than 4*.  You are still super  👍🏿

Don't take it personal-I'm sure that there is a certain percentage of people who are just crazy

Rosita55
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

Oh wow! I had exactly the same experience. You described the 5*  service provided to the guests just like I do, my past guests raved about my place. A few days ago, an older couple stayed for 2 nights. They came earlier than check in time, no communication whatsoever, no response to my messages. When they arrived, they were surprised that they had to share the bathroom and living room with other guests occupying the other bedroom and that I live in other part of the house. I told them it was on my listing and they admitted they didn't read the listing. They left a short review "it was great" and left a private note to say the place was clean, and that I was friendly and helpful. Imagine my disappointment when they also gave 4 star review on every single aspect. It is hard not to be upset as I always make sure the guests have great experience.  Did you reply to their review? 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rosita55 @Jess4223  @Anonymous  @Anika13 

This used to worry me, about every 25 guests one will give me a wonderful review that comes with 4 stars overall and 4 in every category. My thoughts were.....if I am that good why am I not worth 5 stars?

But over the years I have come to realise that the Airbnb review system is a punishment system, not a reward system! There is no reward category for an Airbnb review! 5 stars is a default review rating and means that the stay met the guests expectations.....a 4 star means that, while great in every way, nothing to fault, it was not perfect and certain aspects need to be mythically improved.

Don't stress about it, virtually all Airbnb users, be they hosts or guests, know how c*cked  up the review system is and take far more notice of the actual written review than any star rating that may be attached to it!

Cheers........Rob

Here is another one. The guest put 3* for value while saying in the review that they had the opportunities to stay at my place due to lower price as the prices are high everywhere else at this time of the year. They also gave location 4*. I had quite a few of 4* for location and 4* for value which bothers me because I put on the listing about close proximity to the mall, hospital and for value, with the amenities I provided compared to others and low price per night, I think they received good bargain.  I know, I am sure I won't care about the rating anymore after a few years of hosting. I am a new host, just opened the AirBnB in July 2022. I did block the guests who gave me 4* rating, no thank you. Screenshot_20221012-164842_Airbnb.jpgi⁸

I was on VRBO for 12+ years exclusively and i never had the level of shenanigans that this review system does. Especially when there is ZERO contact from the guest when it is explicitly stated to contact us immediately if there are any issues or concerns. I recently had an overall 4 star review from someone who I think probably does it to everyone and we did a walk through the day before so we know exactly how and where everything was. I contacted him to ask for specifics but of course, read and no reply. Honestly, I'm re-thinking this forum as truly my rental is nicer and cleaner than even my own home. I redesigned and remodeled everything myself 3 years ago as that's what I do for a living.. 

How can we identify these people who may also be owners in the same market and trying to bring us down? 

Hi Robin,

I am just wondering if you ever reply in the space under a guest's written review?  I got an undeserved 4 for cleanliness (suite is spotless and they even said everything was perfect when they arrived) and then they wrote a review that started positive but ended leaving a very negative impression and said things that weren't really true either.  I don't know whether or not to write and set the record straight or to let the insinuations lie.

d