Unfair guest reviews on purpose

Unfair guest reviews on purpose

Hello everyone, 

I have seen some same topic posts, but I would like to share my thinking on this matter: Unfair guest reviews.

I have a lot of 5-star reviews but my rate overall is not a 5-star because of some I think unfair reviews.

This is how I welcome a guest:

Welcome message, make sure everything is spotless and clean and I always say that you can text me call me, or meet me if you need anything. Mind you I have a message in my listing that says: This is my sweet home and during your stay, I will expect mutual respect for the place. 

I have some really mean reviews and ratings 2 or 3 and I don't understand why. I have thought of something that might be the reason. 

Some guests are trying for a refund or discount this way. What do you think?

I give ususally good reviews if I see there is no problem and when I see the review they gave me I m shocked and I also had things missing after the guest have gone and realised long after. 

Do you think people try to get refunds or reduce of the price? 

6 Replies 6
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Amerissa0, Thank you for sharing your experience with us and I would like to add that this has been a much-discussed topic in our Community Center.

If you would like to have a look at those discussions and see how other members have dealt with such situations or read insights shared by our experienced Hosts, you can also use the search bar with relevant keywords. Please feel free to explore this link to view discussions.

I would also like to invite one of the kindest and most experienced Hosts in our Community Center,  @Robin4, who has always provided some great advice, especially when members talk about dealing with reviews. I hope Robin can help us understand your concerns better and share some of his great insights and tips on this matter!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you so much, Bhumika, 

To welcome me into the community,  I will take all the advice into consideration and change the listing 

Thank you again 

Amerissa 

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Amerissa0 

Hello Amerissa,  it hurts when you put a lot of effort into what you offer and don't get rewarded in the review system. None of us hosts are totally happy with the way the review system works where anything less than perfection is seen as a fail by Airbnb but, we have to deal with it as best we can.

Giving advice on guests perceptions here on the CC is hard Amerissa because we don't have the advantage of being able to see first hand what you offer. All we can advise on is what we can see in the listing description and reading your reviews.

I am going to sound critical, and I don't mean it unkindly, it is just my observations and what I think might help you from the experience I have had along the way.

A/.........Looking at your listing I think you are attracting the wrong type of guest. Most of your criticism seems to come from guests who didn't (when booking) realise they were sharing a relatively small space. Guests are notoriously poor readers of house rules and things to note, and when you lead off your description with 'Lovely one bedroom condo in zone 2 London'......... although that is no doubt what it is, that's what guests seize on and think they are going to get.

Amerissa, I would leave that line out, or modify it to 'Come share my unit with me in Zone 2 London'. I know, doesn't sound as nice but, it is accurate and would help avoid that guest that thinks they are getting something you don't offer!

B/.......Attention to detail is very important Amerissa! You lead photo is a kitchen with a lot of bench-top clutter.......

Amerissa listing  a.png

And your only bedroom photo is dominated by what looks like an unmade bed with possibly only one pillow......

Amerissa listing b.png

Amerissa, these are not appealing pictures. That bed is not the sort of bed I would want to pay money to sleep in, and some of your reviews do make mention of your lack of attention to details.

I hope @Helen3  won't mind me mentioning her but, many English home share hosts like Helen have amazing success, a 4.97 star rating over 300 + reviews because she attends to every detail and makes her guests feel special. This is the bedroom that Helen offers to her guests in her listing photos.....

Amerissa listing c.png

The difference is outstanding isn't it!

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear this but I am trying to be constructive.

I would concentrate on having more appealing photos so you would attract a better class of guest, someone who wants to stay with you because of who you are rather than just use you as a convenience because of your location! 

Remember if you attend to details the less a guest expects, the more they will be delighted with what they get. 

I hope this can help you Amerissa, all the best.

Cheers........Rob

@Bhumika 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @Robin4 I'm very flattered that you chose to highlight my UK shared home to @Amerissa0 

@Amerissa0 I agree with Rob . First impressions make all the difference. Decluttering the kitchen and putting nicely ironed linens and amenities in the bedroom will make a big difference. Consider a mini fridge in your bedroom as you're not offering kitchen access. 

Also why have you included a photo of the living room/dining room when guests report you sleep there and this room isn't accessible to guests? 

Do make it clear what you're offering;  a bedroom with access to a bathroom in a home where the host will occupy the living room /dining room .

I think you're getting lower ratings because of a mismatch in expectations. Guests reading your description may think they are getting the place to themselves . You have no description of what guests have access to, what sort of guests your listing is suitable for or the local area .  Nor do you make it clear you live in the lounge/diner so guests just have access to a bedroom /bathroom

Have a look at my listing if you like as an example of how you can  describe hosting in a shared home setting in an inner city area.  And look at other comparable listings in your area run by superhosts for inspiration. 

good luck . 

Hello,

Thank you, Helen,

I agree with you, when I was making this listing the descriptions best to match my listing were this. Or maybe I didn't know how to manage the description better at the time. But I will change it as I think that yes it has to be clearer to the guests of what they are expecting to see. 

Thanks 

Amerissa 

Hello, 

Thank you so much for the advice. It is very useful and I understand the difference between the fellow host's listing and mine. The truth is that I took these pictures in a bit of a rush, but also thought people would take that it is an everyday home and they could feel homey and comfortable. However, you are right it looks messy. 

I will make these changes and pay attention to the details. 

Cheers 

Amerissa