Unjust Suspension of Listings

Unjust Suspension of Listings

Hi All,

This experience is unimaginable, like I am dreaming!

A guest that lodged in my house described it as being like a 5-star hotel and has virtually all the essential facilities of a 5-star hotel. Also ALL the guests that visited (except this one from HELL, I am going to talk about) gave I and the house 5-star rating and said they would definitely visit again.

On 11/10/23, this particular guest booked for 3 days initially and extend his stay twice. He made loud phone call and turned his television volume very high, piled dirty dishes in the kitchen sink, pied on toilet seat and without flushing the toilet and many more, all to the discomfort of other guests, but we managed to accommodate him and get people to clean up after him, waiting for him to checkout. About 12 hours to the end of his booking, he got unbearably loud and discomforting to other guests and I reported him to Airbnb and requested them to refund him for a day and ask him to leave. The Airbnb Support Ambassador I spoke with asked me to give them 1 hour to coordinate the removal of the guest and I did not hear from her again. I CALLED AIRBNB A MILLION TIMES AND WAS TOLD S SPECIAL TEAM IS HANDLING THE MATTER, but the special team was not calling, and this individual continued to bother other guests with his noise through the night. Around 6am or so, One of the Ambassadors called and said it was almost morning already and lets works getting him to check by 11am and I accepted but said to him that I do not want this individual in my house a minute after 11am.

Around 10am, I overheard the individual speaking to an Airbnb Ambassador that he is demanding full return of his money, that he did not enjoy his stay, that the house was too noisy and that he is not going to checkout until he receives his full refund. By 11am, this individual stayed put and an Airbnb Ambassador called me to check if he checked out and I said no. He said he was going to call him to ask him to checkout and that was the last I heard from Airbnb. This individuals stayed put and I kept calling Airbnb only to be told the special team assigned handling the matter would call me and no one did.

Meanwhile, I have smart locks in my house. After this individual's booking elapsed, his smart lock access deactivated and around 2pm when he went to use the bathroom, he was locked out of the room as the codes were no longer working for him to re-enter the room and by this time, I had contacted the local police to come and remove him. He started shouting at me to come and open the door for him and I informed him the local police were on their way, that he should hold for them so we avoid any altercations, by this individual used his leg to kick open the door and damaged it. I called the police again and they eventually arrived around 3pm. 

This individual claimed Airbnb Ambassadors asked him to remain in my house until his refund is sorted out and that I assaulted him. The police asked him for evidence of the assault he claims and he showed them a video he took of me while I was sitting somewhere by myself. The Police asked that he claims I assaulted him, but he videos he presented showed me sitting quietly by myself, that did I assault him while sitting down, and he could not answer the question and the police removed him from the house.

Later in the evening, an Airbnb Ambassador who said she was from the safety team called me and asked what happened with the client. I sent in a written representation of what happened.  I did not hear back from this Airbnb Ambassador or anyone else. Meanwhile, the Airbnb Ambassador said they are unlisting my listing the individuals lodged in until they complete a review of the case. All effort to get this individual or anyone else to review this matter and restore the Listing proved abortive. Each time I call, I was told a special team is handling the matter and would call you call back, but no one calls.

This lingered on from 11/16.23 till 21/1/23 when and Airbnb Ambassador from the safety team called and requested a time to speak with me and that they would take further action on my listings if the did not hear from me. I responded same day and said I was available to speak with him by 10am. I waited till 10:18 am and no one called. I sent a message to this Ambassador that I was still waiting on his call. By 10:50am, no one still called and I sent another message to this Airbnb Ambassador that I have been waiting and that I am still able to speak with him any time during the day. No one called that day or the days after, but what I got was Airbnb suspending all my 9 different Lisings. When I called Airbnb, I learnt that the Ambassador claimed I did not respond to the message he sent on 12/01/23 to speak with me. I then snapped the 3 responses and sent to Airbnb, even though those were still on my message thread with that Ambassador. Since them, no one has gotten back to me from Airbnb and I have been calling them several times daily. Each time I call, I am told that a Special Team is handing the matter and would get back to me, but no one does. This is getting to a month 1 of my listing was unlisted and about nine days all my 9 different listings were suspended for absolutely no reason at all.

I find it unbelievable that a grossly irresponsible person would say something to Airbnn, without EVIDENCE and Airbnb would take action against a host who has 5-star reviews from all the guests who has visited him so far. (Airbnb Ambassador removed the negative review from this individual as it violated their policy).

I also find it strange that someone would suspend a host's account for no reason and is still not contacting the person, despite all efforts by this person to contact the individuals or his team. Each day, I call Airbnb Ambassadors not less than 5 time since this incident. Does this individual and Airbnb enjoy causing loss and harm to Host?

It is interesting to note that Airbnb processed a refund of $600 and $59 respectively for the damages this individual did and for overstaying, but the Safety Team is not calling to discuss and remove the suspension on my listings.

Also, it is annoying that Airbnb has allowed this individual to remain on the platform and has continued to upset other hosts. I have read reviews from other host he lodged with after my place. The described him as a drifter as he refused to leave after his booking elapsed he managed to stay 1 or 2 nights free.

I have tried everything I could to get Airbnb to resolve this issue. It is causing me great loss of revenue and puts me at risk of defaulting with my Mortgage and losing my properties. At this point, I will be involving my attorneys.

1 Reply 1
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Nelson412, and Happy New Year! 

I'm really sorry to read your experience. I wondered if you'd had a resolution to your listing suspension? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines