Unregistered guests

Answered!

Unregistered guests

If someone books a room for two people, are both registered guests? I only get to see info on person who booked and not his/her partner.

When both guests arrive, I take pictures of their respective photo IDs. At this point, does the partner of person who booked become a registered guest even though that person may not have an Airbnb account? My house rules state no unregistered guests allowed on premises which made me question how to define a registered guest. Many thanks in anticipation.

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Adam1846  When booking a hotel, I am asked only for the name of the person renting the room and responsible for payment.  I have been asked how many persons are going to be in the room, i.e., partner and children, but am rarely (if ever) asked who they are.  The driver's license or photo ID and credit card of the person paying for the room is also the only ID asked for by the front desk clerk when checking in.

AirBnB does have a place for the booking guest to enter the names of additional guests who will be staying, but it presumes that they have AirBnB accounts that can be attached to the reservation.  Even if they are listed (which seldom happens) it is my understanding that these persons cannot be held responsible for damages or additional payments as they are not the "registered" guest.

You have asked a very good question.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6

@Adam1846 

Hmmm....this is an interesting question! 

I'd venture a guess that this is an actually legal question and a local attorney would be the one to consult. The laws are also likely to be different from state to state, and local ordinances may potentially apply. I'd love to learn what you uncover!

Thanks @Kitty-and-Creek0 . I will let you know as and when. I'm in Jamaica (the island, not the New York neighbourhood). Raising this with lawyers here would be a challenge...

@Adam1846 

That is interesting indeed!

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Adam1846  When booking a hotel, I am asked only for the name of the person renting the room and responsible for payment.  I have been asked how many persons are going to be in the room, i.e., partner and children, but am rarely (if ever) asked who they are.  The driver's license or photo ID and credit card of the person paying for the room is also the only ID asked for by the front desk clerk when checking in.

AirBnB does have a place for the booking guest to enter the names of additional guests who will be staying, but it presumes that they have AirBnB accounts that can be attached to the reservation.  Even if they are listed (which seldom happens) it is my understanding that these persons cannot be held responsible for damages or additional payments as they are not the "registered" guest.

You have asked a very good question.

Thanks @Lorna170 .  That simplifies it. Guest who books will be registered guest for Airbnb purposes. Other guest who checks-in will be registered guest with me only. This means my existing house rule remains valid. Anyway, I will wait for some more responses here before contemplating any changes. Thanks again!

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

@Adam1846 You can ask the booking guest to add their other guests to the reservation. If the other guests already have their own Airbnb profiles this is easily done. If they don’t and create new profiles, this is just going to show you their name and maybe a photo but no reviews so it’s pretty useless. 

our jurisdiction recently passed licensing that includes background/sex offender checks required UNLESS you only book on Airbnb and VRBO. they only require the check on the booking guest which doesn’t make sense to me. Technically the booking guest could pass a background and bring 3 sex offenders with them and no one would know. Hotels don’t check for sex offenders. And sex offenders have the right to travel unless they are on house arrest so the whole thing is crazy. 

most guests usually say me and my spouse, me and my mom, me and my girlfriends weekend. The only thing we police is the max number of guests and visitors. I don’t really think you can ask for everyone’s name and ID.